• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Welp, I think I killed it.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
I'm so incredibly gutted right now. I spent more than a week redoing the gaskets on this motor and just when I finally had it running tip top, the distributor locks up and I start having bunches of trouble.

I posted a thread a week or so ago where I mentioned the spark plug had lost some of it's ceramic. I *thought* that was my fault; that I must have cracked the ceramic while I was gapping it.

Turns out the spark plug getting fubar was the result, not the cause of what I heard clacking around in my engine. When I pulled the head I found little metal pieces in the cylinder. My best guess is that when the distributor locked up and spun, it made the engine backfire. When this backfire happened, something metal became dislodged or broken (it was a fairly loud "POP!" when it happened) and got sucked into the cylinder when I put the new distributor on.

Because it ran beautifully for a couple minutes after installing the new distributor. We were actually tuning the timing when it started making noise.

My hopes of just cleaning out some ceramic and putting on a new head gasket are gone. Instead, I'm looking at finding a new motor or a different truck. Cause I don't think it's safe to run with the cylinder having gouges in it like that.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That hurts...
Does the cylinder have gouges or is it just the piston? if just the piston and I was broke I would put it back together with the idea of finding a new motor asap.
On closer look the piston may be cracked?

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It was dark, so I'm not certain. I hope to get back out there this weekend (it's 30 minutes away at my brother's place). I felt around the cylinder walls and didn't feel any sharp gouges, but one portion of the wall felt like it was worn differently. I don't think there's much hope for this one. I guess I could put it back together and run it till it blows up, but I don't know.

Between this and the frame rust issue I discovered while putting the engine back in, I'm thinking it's time to look for another truck. I really like this body and interior, so I might find something rough that has a good frame and drive train.

It's just so damned disappointing! :sad:

Coldair

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where do you live?

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Guess I didn't fill that part of my profile out. St. Louis, MO.

Coldair

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
but one portion of the wall felt like it was worn differently.
If it is just a ridge around the top (all four bores should have it) I would just run it.

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if its not cracked, sand down the sharp points on the damaged piston, find the problem with the distributer. to make sure it won't cause any issues. then rotate the engine by hand. if it rotates smoothly.
check the block and head for warping, before re-assimbly. if you have any deviations. pull the engine down and have the surfaces trued. the cylinders sanded, put new rings on the pistons, new bearings and re-assimble.
if no warpage, re-assimble with new gaskets.
this is the low price fix.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are going to strip the block you might as well have it bored and throw new pistons at it too... I would just find another engine at that point though.

Shran

Junk Collector
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would be tempted to run a hone through that cylinder if you really feel like the wall is damaged... deep gouges would be bad, a little scuffing however is not going to be that big of a deal and the hone will even it out. New piston and rings, and reassemble.

Finding another good 2.3 is going to be difficult or impossible, I went through this a couple years ago. There are TONS of DIS/coil pack 2.3's out there in junkyards but none with distributors... which is why I ended up having mine rebuilt.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Finding another good 2.3 is going to be difficult or impossible, I went through this a couple years ago. There are TONS of DIS/coil pack 2.3's out there in junkyards but none with distributors... which is why I ended up having mine rebuilt.
Kind of depends, some guys want them but can't find them and other guys have a couple and can't find anyone that ones them.

I saw one in the JY last weekend, it might have been ran out of oil after it overheated for all I know but I do know where there is one. :icon_thumby:

Shran

Junk Collector
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Seems like 1st and 2nd gen trucks themselves come in waves, every time I stop looking for them I end up buying a couple junkers right away. But now that I have a couple ads posted looking for parts trucks, there are none to be found at any price. Go figure!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seems like 1st and 2nd gen trucks themselves come in waves, every time I stop looking for them I end up buying a couple junkers right away. But now that I have a couple ads posted looking for parts trucks, there are none to be found at any price. Go figure!
Quit looking and they will come out of the woodwork...

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
'74-'88 2.3 N/A short blocks are almost all nearly identical and interchangeable. Hell even the short block from an '89-'94 coil pack ranger can easily be made to work. Plenty of mustangs out there to snag an engine from too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad