• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Well, this is discouraging/getting assistance when filing taxes

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I dont think the government deserves any taxes, they’ve proven countless times that they are irresponsible with money, cant stay within a budget, and waste money overseas when theres issues here that should be delt with. And screw these school taxes, public schools should be obsolete now. They proved 2 years ago it could all be done at home online. If anything you should only have to support the school system if you have kids in school. Im sure I will get some hell for this, but I just feel like venting. Tax season aggravates me too. How is it that the “federal “ part is so much more simpler than “state”? I used credit karma tax last year, and they sold their tax division off to cashapp. I went ahead and used them this year, what a pain. couldnt use the laptop, phone screen is way too little for this, took a long time to figure out how to link to the printer. Id almost go to H&R block again.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I got to efile for free since I’m military. I guess they figured they are shafting me enough but it wasn’t germane to Bill’s issue so I didn’t mention it.

Something does seem amiss in the software Bill. It should know the difference between the 1099s.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I believe there are certain things the government should provide and it is reasonable for citizens to share the costs. 1. A certain amount of government and administration, as long as it is run efficiently.
2. Military protection,
3. Emergency services
4. Roads and highways
5. Law enforcement
6. Maybe a couple other things I'm forgetting.

I agree public education should only be funded by people with children in public schools. I have no kids. Yet, I've paid into the broken education system for years. Funding the arts? No. Good art will be supported by those who appreciate it. There are many other government funded programs that should not come out of my pocket.

How to collect the money? I don't know the best way. Sales tax may be the fairest way. An income tax could work. But should be much simpler without all these loopholes. Everyone whose income is above poverty level should pay the same percentage. Period.

Career politicians should not exist. Term limits must be imposed and enforced across the board.

Just my 5 cents.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got to efile for free since I’m military. I guess they figured they are shafting me enough but it wasn’t germane to Bill’s issue so I didn’t mention it.

Something does seem amiss in the software Bill. It should know the difference between the 1099s.
It's either assuming that since I owe AND I submitted a 1099 that it was from miscellaneous income and I didn't pay quarterly withholdings, or it doesn't recognize the payer ID number on the unemployment 1099. I'll just submit it by paper. That's the workaround. If they are going to make it difficult for me I'm going to make them pay someone to open an envelope and process it manually.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I agree public education should only be funded by people with children in public schools. I have no kids. Yet, I've paid into the broken education system for years. Funding the arts? No. Good art will be supported by those who appreciate it. There are many other government funded programs that should not come out of my pocket.
I don't have a problem funding education when it's reading, writing, math, science, geography, etc. If someone wants their kid to learn how to play an instrument or football, they should pay for it.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I have used Turbo Tax since 2006. it has worked well, and my CPA wife also likes it for its simplicity and ease of doing taxes. However this year, it was a complete shitshow in how it handled the advanced child credit and overall was really clunky like a whole different design team rebuilt it from scratch from previous years. And this is the first year in my life (almost 51 years old) that i have had to pay taxes.

The tax system needs completely overhauled.

AJ

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I believe there are certain things the government should provide and it is reasonable for citizens to share the costs. 1. A certain amount of government and administration, as long as it is run efficiently.
2. Military protection,
3. Emergency services
4. Roads and highways
5. Law enforcement
6. Maybe a couple other things I'm forgetting.

How to collect the money? I don't know the best way. Sales tax may be the fairest way. An income tax could work. But should be much simpler without all these loopholes. Everyone whose income is above poverty level should pay the same percentage. Period.

Career politicians should not exist. Term limits must be imposed and enforced across the board.

Just my 5 cents.
You'd hate Canada, then. In Canada, our taxes pay for:
  • Roads
  • National Defense
  • Emergency Services
    • police / law enforcement
    • fire
    • ambulance
  • Government services
  • A significant portion of daycare
    • New this year
  • Education
    • Yes, people like me who have never had (and never will have) children in school pay for education
  • Healthcare
    • In the US, if you need open heart surgery, you could go bankrupt. In Canada, the cost is covered, you don't even receive a bill.
  • Dental Care
    • Coming Soon
  • Pharmacare
    • Coming Soon
    • Prescription medications
It's not ideal. I pay for education (through taxes), but I don't have kids (and likely won't). I pay for healthcare (through taxes) but haven't seen a doctor since 2016. But, I if I have children some day, I won't have to pay thousands per year for their education, and if I need open heart surgery, I won't go bankrupt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals