• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Well, this is discouraging/getting assistance when filing taxes

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As you all know, Congress decided to simplify and streamline filing taxes by eliminating Form 1040EZ form that most people use, and rearranging Form 1040 by adding so many schedules that most of us don't need to even think about because we used 1040EZ in years past. You can't even figure out where to enter unemployment income now without referring to the instructions which tell you something about using Schedule 1, then do this, then subtract that, etc. Anyway, I have a few questions about the processes. I go to the IRS website, see a title Ithin is relevant to what I need to know and a massive webpage with forms about corparatations, partnerships, etc shows up. Nothing on that page is easy reading. It's all writting in tax lingo that most of us have no clue about.

On my local representative's website there is a paragraph all about, "if you have questions or need assistance with a Federal agency, contact us." So, I thought I could get an answer from them. After two weeks of phone calls and leaving voicemails and several emails sent with no response I did a search on Google to find out why representatives don't reply. Immediately after I typed, "Why don't, representatives" Google autofilled the rest of the search field with, "answer their phone during tax season." It looks like I'm not the only one having this problem. And forget about trying to ocntact the IRS directly. The IRS states only 10% of calls are answered. Their goal is to answer only 60%. Other sources are claiming less than 1% of calls to the IRS are answered.

At this point I'm not going to get an answer and I really don't know what to do. I think I'm just going to file the taxes with what I have and do specifically what the IRS doesn't want me to do. That is, I'm going to include a note with my filing instead of the form they want because I'm unable to determine what form use because everything on the IRS website is full of If, then, but if, except when, but now when, and so on.

And make no mistake about it. This is intentionally designed this way. Nobody can make things as difficult as this without putting a lot of effort in it. It's so bad that representatives don't answer their phones during tax season for fear of the public overwhelming them with questions.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I use Taxcut or TurboTax and let the program figure out the form and which one to use. I just answer the questions. I can do Federal and State that way. Local, I have to go to their contractor’s website and do it there.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Did you really think the representative would tell you or other constituents how to scam the government of taxes like they do?

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I use Taxcut or TurboTax and let the program figure out the form and which one to use. I just answer the questions. I can do Federal and State that way. Local, I have to go to their contractor’s website and do it there.
I started out with H&R Block online, then Turbo Tax. Both to them are confusing the 1099 from unemployment as self-employment income, so I'm sending in a paper filing.

Did you really think the representative would tell you or other constituents how to scam the government of taxes like they do?
Who said anything about scamming the government? The problem I have is what form(s) to use. It has nothing to do with scamming the government. If you took the time to actually comprehend what I posted you would understand that.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ve never had to deal with the 1099 stuff. So, I have no clue on that other than I know what they are and there are about four different types, depending on what generates them.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Who said anything about scamming the government? The problem I have is what form(s) to use. It has nothing to do with scamming the government. If you took the time to actually comprehend what I posted you would understand that.
I don't think the point was that you were trying to scam. More of a joke about government officials scamming the system themselves and not wanting to share their secrets with commoners like us.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’ve never had to deal with the 1099 stuff. So, I have no clue on that other than I know what they are and there are about four different types, depending on what generates them.
For unemployment it's a 1099G which are payments from the government. Since I owe the software appears to think I didn't make quarterly payments like you would if you are self employed, and it wants to add penalties.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't think the point was that you were trying to scam. More of a joke about government officials scamming the system themselves and not wanting to share their secrets with commoners like us.
Ok.

I think the whole thing is a scam. Not the paying taxes part, but the part about making it unnecessarily difficult because tax preparation companies want it that way and it the tax code is written to favor the ultra wealthy.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Wow! Don't take everything so seriously. If you can't make life fun, what's the point. Take two steps back, chug a beer and say, "This sh*t is whack". No go have some fun.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Wow! Don't take everything so seriously. If you can't make life fun, what's the point. Take two steps back, chug a beer and say, "This sh*t is whack". No go have some fun.
You will have to pardon me. I'm annoyed at this. It shouldn't be this confusing.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I'm with Sandman. I use an online company recommended and approved by the IRS --- don't choke :ROFLMAO:
Here's the link to Online Taxes at OLT.com

Been using them since I retired in 2016 and have not had any issues. This is the first year I actually had to pay for the preparation service. It's pretty robust for both Fed and state. You can efile or send in a paper copy. Obviously with efile, returns are much quicker - less than a week, but I file as soon as I get my last piece of paper - early February.

I do empathize with your "annoyance" though.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm with Sandman. I use an online company recommended and approved by the IRS --- don't choke :ROFLMAO:
Here's the link to Online Taxes at OLT.com

Been using them since I retired in 2016 and have not had any issues. This is the first year I actually had to pay for the preparation service. It's pretty robust for both Fed and state. You can efile or send in a paper copy. Obviously with efile, returns are much quicker - less than a week, but I file as soon as I get my last piece of paper - early February.

I do empathize with your "annoyance" though.
I'm running into a problem wherein a penalty keeps coming up for not paying self-employment taxes when attempting to file online. I wasn't self employed. Something things the 1099 from unemployment is a 1099 as a contractor. Otherwise, I would just file online because it's easier.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I was absolutely irate when I did my taxes in February. Not only did TurboTax discontinue their free e-filing service, I got several 1099s from my employer including one for a Christmas bonus. I always expect a 1099-INT but not all the others and the explanation was that they are just blasting out 1099s for every little piddly expense now because the Dims keep moving the goal posts with this $600 reporting rule clusterfuk.

I was pissed and I didn't even have to deal with the IRS. The government is just such a total shit show these days... I think Americans should collectively decide to file our taxes on paper next year in protest. Who's with me?

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
TurboTax gave me a free federal efile this year, wanted like $24.95 for state so I paper filed state.

-Jazzer

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was absolutely irate when I did my taxes in February. Not only did TurboTax discontinue their free e-filing service, I got several 1099s from my employer including one for a Christmas bonus. I always expect a 1099-INT but not all the others and the explanation was that they are just blasting out 1099s for every little piddly expense now because the Dims keep moving the goal posts with this $600 reporting rule clusterfuk.

I was pissed and I didn't even have to deal with the IRS. The government is just such a total shit show these days... I think Americans should collectively decide to file our taxes on paper next year in protest. Who's with me?
The $600 rule has been around ever since I can remember. With the exception of cash we didn't have all these 1099s because there were limited methods of payments that all went through financial institutions that took care of the reporting to the IRS. Now we have Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and others, as well as people making a living online who receive income from these sources, and I think there should be some way to make sure they pay taxes like the rest of us. It's a bit of a nuisance, but I don't know how else you can enforce tax compliance when payments are now received through so many different sources.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals