• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Welding.

RangerRyan

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0l,2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a welder. I have welded before but I've only used the welders we have at school(regular run of the mill Lincoln Electric arc welders). I was wondering what the best welder with a regular home plug was. I want to be able to weld on 1/4inch steel. I don't care if I have to make multiple passes just that it will hold and takes some stress. I have been thinking about a MIG welder. I've been doing a lot of research but I haven't got a straight answer with the regular home plug(I don't really want to switch). Also I don't really want to spend more then $300.

Edit: Did a little more research thinking about doing a generator/welder combo found a couple Lincoln Electric stick welders for about 100 dollars on craigslist if I could find a generator that could supply it power that might be the way to go. I want a portable one that I can take to college with me when I move out.

Last edited:

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
Hobart stuff blows. Go with a miller or lincoln. You can get a used one pretty cheap and they will last for a long time. And there made in the US

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry but a welder under $300 doesn't exist unless its Junk (Harbor Freight)

I would recommend getting gas because welding with flux core looks like bird poop.
Not to be a jerk, but I have to call bull on both of these. My 140 amp HF welder is great IMHO, and the welds from the stock included flux wire is far from looking like bird poop.
Of course you want to get the extended warrenty 'cause it is made in China, but I don't think you're being fair when you automatically call it junk just because it's from Harbor Freight.

Happy welding:icon_welder:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hobart stuff blows.
I know a lot of people who would disagree, not saying that hobart is as good as miller but still give it some credit. Also I dunno how I feel about lincoln because they are made in mexico, miller is made in like michigan.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to be a jerk, but I have to call bull on both of these. My 140 amp HF welder is great IMHO, and the welds from the stock included flux wire is far from looking like bird poop.
Of course you want to get the extended warrenty 'cause it is made in China, but I don't think you're being fair when you automatically call it junk just because it's from Harbor Freight.

Happy welding:icon_welder:
Actually after welding with a miller 210 then going to a HF 160(?) welder I can assure you i would never spend money on that big piece of garbage, I know that some people can get them to weld decent but I don't care, they suck to weld with

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually after welding with a miller 210 then going to a HF 160(?) welder I can assure you i would never spend money on that big piece of garbage, I know that some people can get them to weld decent but I don't care, they suck to weld with
I've used Miller 210s and they are great!..... But take a look at the price tag.....

For what I use my HF welder for, it does just fine, but that is just my opinion.

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
wherever you're at, I recommend getting a 240 plug installed first. Then make a welder selection.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have a lincoln 125. wife and i are renting i cant go installing a 220v outlet in our garage, so i had to get something to run off a regular outlet. i paid $400 for mine and use flux core wire with it. it'll do 1/4" no problem and i've used it on thicker material (not vehicle related stuff though) it'll also take gas if i want and can do stainless and aluminum with a spool gun and the right setup.

as far as i'm concerned, the welder manufacturer preference is just like a ford, dodge or chevy vehicle argument. everyone has their own opinion and has used certain models. i got the lincoln cause it was in my budget and i got some free financing deal from lowes as long as i paid it off in 6 months. and as with most other stuff, you get what you pay for.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry but a welder under $300 doesn't exist unless its Junk (Harbor Freight) or its used. I'd recommend a Hobart Handler 140. I have a Hobart 210MVP with the dual plug. The HH140 is I believe around $500 but its a nice setup and will weld 1/4" like you want. I would recommend getting gas because welding with flux core looks like bird poop.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306073_200306073?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Welding-_-Wirefeed%20Welders-_-1646140&ci_sku=1646140&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}
Only reason it looks like poop is the person operating the welder!

Hobart stuff blows. Go with a miller or lincoln. You can get a used one pretty cheap and they will last for a long time. And there made in the US
Hobart is made by Miller now.

I know a lot of people who would disagree, not saying that hobart is as good as miller but still give it some credit. Also I dunno how I feel about lincoln because they are made in mexico, miller is made in like michigan.
Doesn't matter where it's made. Seriously. Quality products don't just come from the USA. Next person who tells me that I'm going to punch. It's getting annoying. My community college just bought 16 new Lincoln multi-process machines and they operate great! Had them for over a year welding from 8am to 9pm and have had great luck with GMAW, FCAW and SMAW on them. Every country produces quality products of some sort and every country produces sh*tty products of some sort, yes, it is hard to believe, I know... but even the USA produces sh*tty products! (Rolls eyes)

wherever you're at, I recommend getting a 240 plug installed first. Then make a welder selection.
Agreed. Or at least get a welder that runs on 220 or 110, that way when you move to a better place or install a plug you can run 220.

What do you guys say about buying one of these http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K1297 with a generator? I can get an old used one for pretty cheap.
Just like the Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC my dad has, that Lincoln is a no frills machine, and will perform very well doing stick. Run it on 220 though.

Listen, just because your 110v says it is able to do 1/4" thick material with FCAW, doesn't mean it actually can create a decent weld with good penetration. 1/8" material is about the limit of 110v machines. Check out this welding forum, it is full of VERY VERY knowledgeable weldors with years and years of experience who will guide you in the right direction.

http://weldingweb.com/index.php

:icon_welder:

RangerRyan

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0l,2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I think I'm just going to go with either the Hobart one or Lincoln Electric one.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the Hobart 140 is a great machine for the money... period. i had one at my house, but it was a friends... i'm thinking i might get one.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
idk where u guys get ur welders but here at home depot they cost 300 for a lincoln

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals