• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

welding up an 8.8

.40cal

Reaction score
Somewhere in the sticks in South Carolina
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was wondering if welding up an 8.8 posi was possible / reliable. I've never welded up a rear end, but had friends who swear by it. Is it even worth it to do to a posi rear end?:icon_welder:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Talk to 86slo-vo. He been running a welded 8.8 for over 2 years and he daily drives it. People on this site either love it or hate it

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been wheeling my welded 8.8 for about 5-6 years and have never had a problem. First you have to know how to weld it correctly. If you don't and it lets loose, it will granade the entire thing. Second, I wouldn't drive it on the street. Even pulling my truck on a car dolly, it eats tires like they are going out of style. A locked rear end on the street also puts a lot of stress on the shafts. If the rear end is posi there isn't any reason to weld it unless your doing hard core off road.

.40cal

Reaction score
Somewhere in the sticks in South Carolina
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A locked rear end on the street also puts a lot of stress on the shafts. If the rear end is posi there isn't any reason to weld it unless your doing hard core off road.
Yea, thats what I needed to know. Didnt really know if there was any real benefit to it or not. I just assumed that a posi rear wasnt really "splitting" the power 50/50 to each tire like a "locked" rear would.

Doesn't a posi transfer just some of the power to the wheel with traction?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you do the extra clutch mod on the lsd and pack it as tight as it will go it works very well, unless you get one wheel off the ground, then all bets are off.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Doesn't a posi transfer just some of the power to the wheel with traction?
No. Power, water and electricity will always go the path of least resistance. It does NOT transfer power to the wheel with traction. It is done mechanically so it has no logic to transfer power away from a spinning tire. It just splits the power but will allow one tire to turn faster than another. This is critical in allowing the outer tire to turn faster when going around a corner.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I welded my 7.5 up about 2 1/2 years ago and no problems so far. On dry pavement I can feel it hopping. In mud its great.

igiveup

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Talk to 86slo-vo. He been running a welded 8.8 for over 2 years and he daily drives it. People on this site either love it or hate it
i only ran the welded rear for about 8 months, i had no problems though other then being hard on tires...that being said if i didnt have the detroit in the rear now it would be welded and when i swap to a sterling 10.25 i will most likely be going back to the welded carrier

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
liar... Told me you ran it 2 years lol

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nah might have been a year, but it wasnt my first welded axle...first rbv axle though

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
ok,, maybe it wasnt you lol but there is someone who told me they done it for at least 2 yeare

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ok,, maybe it wasnt you lol but there is someone who told me they done it for at least 2 yeare

ahem......

Hello

I welded my 7.5 up about 2 1/2 years ago and no problems so far. On dry pavement I can feel it hopping. In mud its great.

igiveup

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
lol nope i dont think it was him, it was someone with an 8.8

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals