• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weldernator?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There was an article in fourwheeler,or 4wor about this in the past couple months.They claimed 2 batteries in tandem like the above setup will weld up to1/4 inch.Checkout their website.
Yeah, but the weldernator means I dont have to carry two spare batteries, nor deal with them being charged, ect. And the cost is about the same, if not lower for the Weldernator.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Yeah, but the weldernator means I dont have to carry two spare batteries, nor deal with them being charged, ect. And the cost is about the same, if not lower for the Weldernator.
problem with weldernator is the same with any starter or alternator. i regularly fawk them up with the elements.

i plan to mod a wled/oba setup that drops in and is overdriven.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
problem with weldernator is the same with any starter or alternator. i regularly fawk them up with the elements.

i plan to mod a wled/oba setup that drops in and is overdriven.
Well depending on how you mount the thing, it could be entirely removable, so you can just store it in a box or bag out of harms way. I was actually thinking of doing that, so my friends could make their own mounts for their trucks and we could swap it around, for days that my truck is out of commission, or what-have-you.

The first thing I saw about this was a guy with a CJ, and he would always remove his because he didn't like how close the belts were, or something (forgot exactly why, too lazy to google it and click on the first two or things that come up. lol)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i was thinking of using 25/35 chain via a modded ac compressor body so it can be clutched.

i have seen several removable setups over the years and just never tried it full force.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
york is ok, very space consuming in the older flavor.

i like the r12 old school compressors most ho302 come with. those work great. thing is that stuff i was running before on my 302 dont fit well with my 6.5. since i want to lower the body a bit etc eventually, it looks like a removable setup is my best option. fabbing some braketry to put my welder/oba from the gas 302 v8 to my diesel v8 is complicated by intended goals.

my current work enviroment is allowing me to get away with it, but once i start wheeling again the oba and welder will be going back on.

hardlycommand

Law Enforcement
Canadian Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
just looking
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone made a weldernator?

It seems like a sweet-ass mod, but had some questions I hoped I could get answered...

First off, how big of an alternator do I want? I've read about people doing from 80 up to 140 amp alternators... Lets say 1/4" is the thickest I want to weld, but I want to do it without major hassle if possible.

Second, what is a good ground? obviously I dont want to fry anything on my truck...

Third, would using/modifying/customizing (not exactly sure what would be needed) the mount for my A/C compressor be a good location/mount for it? Right now the belt is gone for the compressor, and I was planning on removing it all together eventually.

Thanks.
welding atlanta
I've heard about guys modifying an alternator to act as a makeshift welder as well as still acting as an alternator (not heavy duty but can really get one out of a spin in the bush). Does anyone know how this is done, as my knowledge of electrcity is dangerous - I need to do a little research before doing something like that. Anyone done a mod like this yet, how well does it really work? Sorry, hope its relevant - living in Africa u sometimes need to make your own plan :rolleyes: - last trip in a landy we ended up having to stick strips of the carpet to the clutch so we could get home (pratleys steel worked wonder - and no I am not paid to say that); we took 3 hrs on the road to do that job (f&*$@n hot!), but it drove another 450 odd km where we could change the clutch properly - ha ha.

So, any help would be appreciated.

Another project Im interested in is a compressor system using and aircon pump and some tanks (dive bottles or fire extinguishers or something) havent really checked whats the correct spec yet, but its fairly simple to do. A friend of mine runs a aircon pump on his landy just for emergencies, reckons itll inflate a big tyre in no time! Would be cool to be able to run pneumatic drills/grinder/rivet gun and be able to weld while travelling hey - to help the guys in land cruisers of course

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
there used to be a big thread about on-board welders made from chevy alternators on jeepforums. i had considered doing one and even got an alternator from a late 90s or early 2k cadillac because it put out lots of amps but i never got past buying the part from the junkyard. an on-board welder definitely sounds awesome though

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I know both the weldernator and A/C air compressor are possible but I don’t know enough details to give an answer on the how.

For the alternator, you’ll probably want the highest ampere output alternator you can install but then you also have to worry about duty cycle. Meaning, how long can the alternator support that output. I imagine one might need to be concerned about not frying the vehicle’s electrical system or the battery since the alternator needs energy exciting the system in order for it to generate power. A regular generator doesn’t require that but have their own negatives as well. This why most vehicles have an alternator instead of a generator.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
onboard air with any air compressor pump is simple, simply put a pressure switch on the clutch wire, plumb the pressure switch to the outlet of the compressor and put some easy breather filter or something on the inlet and have say 20' of hose coiled up somewhere, the hose acts as somewhat of a tank and the switch keeps it from over pressuring. Every now and then put a little oil on the inlet side. Have a friend that did this on his 4 runner and it's been going for years... airs up tires very quick even without a tank...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals