• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weldernator?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone made a weldernator?

It seems like a sweet-ass mod, but had some questions I hoped I could get answered...

First off, how big of an alternator do I want? I've read about people doing from 80 up to 140 amp alternators... Lets say 1/4" is the thickest I want to weld, but I want to do it without major hassle if possible.

Second, what is a good ground? obviously I dont want to fry anything on my truck...

Third, would using/modifying/customizing (not exactly sure what would be needed) the mount for my A/C compressor be a good location/mount for it? Right now the belt is gone for the compressor, and I was planning on removing it all together eventually.

Thanks.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.parksoffroad.com/miscinstalls/welderreview/mobi/mobimain.htm

http://www.zena.net/

I will run setup eventually. My buddy has a similar setup in his full size bronco and it works really well.

I have done this before too.

-Jester
Thats close Jester, but those are brand-name onboard welders... I mean a true Weldernator, something home-made and cheaper... Like this.
http://mhickok.blogspot.com/2008/06/weldernator-true-power.html

Has anyone done THAT? Not just an onboard welder that you buy?

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's one of those simple things that i've been meaning to do for a long time,but never got around to.think i'll try it out when the ranger gets going again.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Thats close Jester, but those are brand-name onboard welders... I mean a true Weldernator, something home-made and cheaper... Like this.
http://mhickok.blogspot.com/2008/06/weldernator-true-power.html

Has anyone done THAT? Not just an onboard welder that you buy?
The links I posted are true weldernators. And weldernators are on-board welders. And if you'd look at the first link I posted it answers all of your questions.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631100&highlight=welder+OBW
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/on-boardwelder/

Google is your friend, you should start using it.

-Jester

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The links I posted are true weldernators. And weldernators are on-board welders. And if you'd look at the first link I posted it answers all of your questions.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631100&highlight=welder+OBW
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/on-boardwelder/

Google is your friend, you should start using it.

-Jester
I have. Thats why my questions are specific. People arn't specific on what their weldernators are capable of, and as I said, I've seen people using 80 amp right up to 140amp alts to make one... So I asked what is suitable for welding 1/4" steel?

Also wondering what is a suitable place to ground on my truck? Really dont have any interest in frying everything.

As far as location goes, I was hoping someone would chime in saying they have used the A/C compressor mount and it was successful or not... Seems like a fine spot for it, but I wanted a second opinion.

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I too have been looking at this for a while, I am going to go with a full frame 100 amp ford. The only differnce i see in people's execution of the idea is either running a full 12 volts to the field, or putting a rheostat on the field to regulate how much voltage the alt puts out. That said, I am thinking of running a rheostat. I am making a bracket to duck the thing where the ac compressor would go.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I too have been looking at this for a while, I am going to go with a full frame 100 amp ford. The only differnce i see in people's execution of the idea is either running a full 12 volts to the field, or putting a rheostat on the field to regulate how much voltage the alt puts out. That said, I am thinking of running a rheostat. I am making a bracket to duck the thing where the ac compressor would go.
Awesome. Is this a project you are doing soon? Would love to know how it turns out.

What is the advantage to having a rheostat?

compaqeo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
would you take the belt off the modified alt. when not using or could you just leave it connected?

DL BOGART

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 V/6
Transmission
Manual
weldernator

I would leave the belt on, when the field isn't energized the drag from a freewheeling alt is almost non-existent. The last thing you want to have to do when something is broke is fix something else first I.E. put the belt on first then weld what ya broke.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
From what I've seen, some people dont even have the alternator mounted until they need it, although that may be due to reasons like hood clearance...

When I do one, Im going to leave the belt off until its needed.

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I will also leave the belt off. When I make the bracket for the upper alt. mount I will make it really easy to work with involving adjustment, so that I can take its belt off easily and in a minute or so. At least if I wont be using it for a while. It would be negligible, the load of the alt not energized, about the same as the AC compressor while off. My only concern is if there is a slight misalignment with the v belt, it wouldnt really show during usage of the weldernator, but it would wear belts a lot more if they were driving the alt all day during daily driving.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There was an article in fourwheeler,or 4wor about this in the past couple months.They claimed 2 batteries in tandem like the above setup will weld up to1/4 inch.Checkout their website.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They also recommended using Optima batteries, cause they are less likely to blow up

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
batteries i used for tacking stuff for many many years, still use them remotely.

i use gm/older jeep type rheos for voltage control combined with throttle.

but i like the little lincoln mig i have much better the kids got me some years back.

i have not reinstalled my oba or weldornator...been a few years and they are missed.

worthy mod.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals