• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird Turn Signal Issue

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My turn signals quit working today on my '88 - but only when the engine is running. If I shut the engine off and turn the key back into the "run" position, the turn signals work properly. It also seems to be intermittant because I was cruising down the highway this afternoon and they worked a couple of times, then quit again.:icon_confused: Ideas?

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
thats odd. sounds like a bad wire or something. the other day my right turn signal light inside the cab stopped workign. i could see my blinker working on the truck in front of my. must of been a light lol. i would say its a loose wire. maybe a fuse.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it were a fuse, why would it work properly with the engine not running though? I pulled the dash schematic from the tech library and will check to see if the whole turn signal circuit is getting power in run.

If it's not hot then what? Ignition switch contacts? I don't know what feeds it.
If it is hot, then it's got to be the switch itself I would think.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe when the engine is running something in the way the alternator puts out power is preventing the relay from working. but even that doesn't make a lot of sense.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, with the engine running I had 0 volts at the fuse, with it not running, had 12.47V. I took the covers off the steering column and the problem is that the electrical connector for the ignition switch was super loose. It looks like a piece of plastic with some tabs on cast metal part to hold it in place. I'm going to bend the tabs in to make it tighter. I sure hope none of them break.

Rico

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
:agree:That's exactly what I was going to tell you to check. I had a similar problem with my 92 one night trying to figure out why the heck it wouldn't start along with a bunch of strange electrical nonsense problems. If my memory serves me right it was a box with sliding contacts that was moved by a rod off of the ignition key. I just bought a new one and never had that problem again.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used a small hammer and a screwdriver to tighten up the tabs. So far, so good. I just hope it helps somebody else.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals