• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird Truck Issue (Transmission or Sensor?)

PapaPine059

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I have a 1995 Mazda B2300 2.3L Lima /w a 5 speed Manual. Recently it been having issues with the Transmission i believe. It started when i was going to work and out of nowhere, the truck would jerk repeatedly as i would shift into gear (happened in 1st and 2nd gear at the time) so i pulled over snd checked the Clutch Fluid (it was fine and clear) and the Transmission fluid level. it was full and dripping out of the fill hole(fluid did look a tad dirty but doesnt seem to have many contaminants) Slowly engaging the clutch seemed to help some but it would still keep jerking occasionally. i found out that if i pressed the accelerator while the truck was jerking, the truck would "power out of it" per say. it went away for about 2-3 Days. but the issue returned yesterday but instead of occuring at 1st - 2nd gear, it has happened at highway speeds in 4th-5th gear and only so i believe. the truck would jerk like if power was lost for a second and then slap back the next second. (i can only describe it as if the clutch was getting engaged and disengaged momentarily. the same could be described for the 1st/2nd gear issue.) im at a lost on where to start. i have a bidirectional obd2 scanner and i may start with checking the codes. (i assumed it was the TPS, but i have a throttle cable to the pedal, so i assume theres no TPS?) maybe the IAC? i have no idea. i changed the fuel pump not too long ago. so it cant be that i believe.
FULL DISCLOSURE
●Truck does seem to have a Huge Vacuum Leak. my theory is that the previous owner didnt want to deal with the EGR/Evap system so i found that the egr lines are cut and so are the charcoal canister, evap solenoid, purge valve. the truck has been this way for years and seemed to be running like a top. reaches 0-60 eventually and normally lol
●The Clutch Slave or Master Cylinder is leaking fluid (refill needed every week or so) but clutch engages fine regardless (as long as fluid doesnt go dangerously low and air enters the system)
Other than that. truck seems and performs solid and work ready as any other ford flippin ranger. just now its not havin a good time. help pls. i dont wanna throw parts at it, i have already spent $1500 on trying to fix 'er up (same price i spent on buyin her🫠😭) any pointers or advice is greatly appreciated 🙏🙏🙏🙏

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Soundsike a clutch issue. I would start by looking in the inspection cover. See if there is a lot of fluid down there. Look for debris from a damaged clutch. I suspect your leak is the slave cylinder and fluid has started getting on the friction material. That will make it do weird things

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I would check the U joints on the rear driveline too, if extended cab it'll have 3 and a bearing in the middle, if you have one of those check that too...

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Are you sure it isn't engine related.

You mention vacuum leaks and missing stuff.

PapaPine059

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure it isn't engine related.

You mention vacuum leaks and missing stuff.
i was thinking maybe engine related, but the vacuum leak wasnt really a concern since its been running fine for years when i got it as is. i was suspecting maybe the MAF/MAP since i heard it can cause simular issues, fuel pressure regulator perhaps?. i also recently gave the truck the ol' seafoam treatment to clean the fuel lines and the throttle body. probably misfiring? i will be checking the OBD2 as soon as i get home

PapaPine059

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
I would check the U joints on the rear driveline too, if extended cab it'll have 3 and a bearing in the middle, if you have one of those check that too...
the truck is a single cab. would it still apply? will check when i get home and able to access truck.

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
i was thinking maybe engine related, but the vacuum leak wasnt really a concern since its been running fine for years when i got it as is. i was suspecting maybe the MAF/MAP since i heard it can cause simular issues, fuel pressure regulator perhaps?. i also recently gave the truck the ol' seafoam treatment to clean the fuel lines and the throttle body. probably misfiring? i will be checking the OBD2 as soon as i get home
A vacuum leak on these injected engine will cause a high idle and most times an unstable idle too.

PapaPine059

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
the issue occurs though under load and at around 30mph+. not at idle sadly. 🫠

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Engine miss?

Eyeball the plugs and plug wires. Also, there could be a harness issue where a wire is shorting out or going open circuit when the engine rocks back and forth as you engage the clutch. Sometimes you can find that by wiggling harnesses while the engine is idling.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals