• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird noise

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You have any rust on the rotors in the morning from condensation or rain? You could put it up on jack stands and turn the wheels by hand.

Daveyboy1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I d
You have any rust on the rotors in the morning from condensation or rain? You could put it up on jack stands and turn the wheels by hand.
I don't think so, I drove the truck this morning at 5 am the noise was there in intiial take off and then parked it and it sat for about 4 hours I then drove it again and the noise was there but then it sat for about 30 minutes and I drove it again and it was quiet no noise at all and it is about 30 degrees outside

Last edited:

Daveyboy1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to try and get a video of the sound tomorrow morning and put it in here if I can, im trying to get it figured out before I take it somewhere and they have no idea what it is because it only does it once

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The only other thing I can think of is to pack the bearings with grease and see if that helps.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You aren't packing the bearings on a 2011 4x4.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know they are not the same, but you can on a 2wd. didn't realize he has 4wd

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I'm sticking with my original diagnosis -- brake pads not disengaging. But the Whonp, whomp whomp still bothers me. If it's the brake pads, pull the wheels/tires, spray the rotors and calipers generously with Brake Clean - readily available at any auto parts store, Walmart, etc, don't worry, it dries very quickly and washes away a lot of crud. Then do a Youtube search for brake pad R&R for your model year truck (or close) just to educate yourself. Next, with the wheels and tires off (driver's side only if that's where the noise is coming from), identify the caliper sliders. Next get some WD40 or any sort of oil lubricant and put a couple of drops in and around where the sliders move. If that eliminate the groaning, then you've solved the issue and can go from there.

Others will have different suggestions, but in my simple mind, this is what I would do --- well not really -- I would wait until it broke, then I'd fix it. That's what my wife always yells at me for.:yahoo:

Daveyboy1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I hate to keep posting but i just can't figure it out, I left work after the truck had been sitting for about 6 hours and now the temp is up to above 40 and it didn't make a sound at all so I'm still not sure what's going on

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The noise going away when you hit the brakes certainly points to either a brake or possibly a wheel bearing issue (suspension is still possible too). Like was said earlier, get someone to listen for where the noise comes from just as you leave in the morning. If they can confirm it's coming from the driver side wheel area, then that is where I'd suggest start tearing into things for inspection.

Daveyboy1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sticking with my original diagnosis -- brake pads not disengaging. But the Whonp, whomp whomp still bothers me. If it's the brake pads, pull the wheels/tires, spray the rotors and calipers generously with Brake Clean - readily available at any auto parts store, Walmart, etc, don't worry, it dries very quickly and washes away a lot of crud. Then do a Youtube search for brake pad R&R for your model year truck (or close) just to educate yourself. Next, with the wheels and tires off (driver's side only if that's where the noise is coming from), identify the caliper sliders. Next get some WD40 or any sort of oil lubricant and put a couple of drops in and around where the sliders move. If that eliminate the groaning, then you've solved the issue and can go from there.

Others will have different suggestions, but in my simple mind, this is what I would do --- well not really -- I would wait until it broke, then I'd fix it. That's what my wife always yells at me for.:yahoo:
I'm gonna give this a try this weekend and see what happens I'm hoping it solves my issue but if not I'll have clean brakes 😬

Daveyboy1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just an update I bought some non chorlinated brake cleaner Saturday and sprayed both front and rear brakes and didn't have the noise again til this afternoon so I'm assuming it must be my brakes making the noise

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Good to know. That's a little progress. Keep after it and eventually, you'll win. 🤞🤞

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals