• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Weird misfire

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I su
Then it would be down to your computer, which costs more

The 1995 and up computers are self contained, they run both spark and fuel
And they monitor sensors and controls pretty well
You should have IAC Valve code so full time CEL(check engine light) if IAC is unplugged, its a "control"
If not then computer "sanity" is in question

What other codes have you seen?
I suppose i can try to get some money together, grab a junkyard computer for like $35, throw it on and if that doesnt work get some cheap 02 sensors for like $50 off of rock auto and have the muffler shop throw those on and the muffler for maybe $100, idk what they would charge but i do t think ot would take them over an hour, unless anyone has any better ideas, i hate just throwing money into the fire to smother it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Try swapping rear O2 and front O2, rear O2 can last longer because it sees cleaner exhaust
Its free

Front O2 is for fuel trim, rear is there to test if Cat is working, its an emissions sensor

If you have a code reader then do a sanity check on computer
Unplug MAF sensor, should get an instant MAF code
Then unplug ECT sensor should get a code but might take a minute or two
Do this one at a time and clear code after

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Try swapping rear O2 and front O2, rear O2 can last longer because it sees cleaner exhaust
Its free

Front O2 is for fuel trim, rear is there to test if Cat is working, its an emissions sensor

If you have a code reader then do a sanity check on computer
Unplug MAF sensor, should get an instant MAF code
Then unplug ECT sensor should get a code but might take a minute or two
Do this one at a time and clear code after
Welp as i said, i cant get the front one loose for the life of me so sadly wont be able to do that test, ill do a sanity check when i have the time i suppose

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I think i had sticky valves, i decided to try just dumping a much of marvel mystery oil in the crank case and fuel tank then spray a ton of seafoam in the throttle body, this morning when i fired her up she ran almost perfect from the start, very slightly not perfect at first but it was so small of a difference most people would hardly notice, hopefully this lasts, i think it probably will, and it will probably just get better over the next few days but ill update if it gets worse again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals