• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird A4LD issue

corvairking2017

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The A4LD on my 88 ranger 2wd is acting odd. It won’t shift into second unless I let off the throttle. However, here’s the odd part. When the truck is cold, it shifts fine. It’s until it warms up a little ways down the road it stops shifting on its own. Once you let off and it goes to second all the other gears are perfect. Every now and then it’ll shift correctly on its own, normally when going up a hill which I found odd. You can wind the truck out to 4 or around 5,000rpm and it’ll shift into second that way, I just don’t like to do that. It doesn’t slip either. So I figured classic stuck governor. So I changed it with the upgraded weight and cleaned it. Although, it wasn’t stuck, it did have some resistance to it. I also changed the o rings on the reverse servo as they were leaking. Well after doing this I still have the same shifting issue. You have to let off to get it to shift when warm. I’ve adjusted the tv cable but that didn’t fix my issue either. I also replaced the modulator a while back with a factory replacement after having too much trouble with aftermarket replacements. Could it be a Possible leaking valve body gasket or a stuck valve? I’ve heard of others having similar problems and it being the valve body to blame. I wondered if my external cooler is clogged causing the fluid to get too hot? Not sure if this would happen, just an idea. It’s the small factory unit. I’ve got a much larger one I plan to use just haven’t installed yet. I just figured I’d see what you guys had to say to possibly give me some advice as to what to do.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You've checked the likely culprits.

Are you comfortable dropping the valve body? Might be a good time to install the Transgo kit and have a look around. They're tech support is amazing by the way. They helped me worth through issues over email.

corvairking2017

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You've checked the likely culprits.

Are you comfortable dropping the valve body? Might be a good time to install the Transgo kit and have a look around. They're tech support is amazing by the way. They helped me worth through issues over email.
Dropping it is fine, but rebuilding it is something I’ve never done. I wouldn’t be opposed to it if I had a good set of instructions or a good write up. What should I look for when it’s out?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Dropping it is fine, but rebuilding it is something I’ve never done. I wouldn’t be opposed to it if I had a good set of instructions or a good write up. What should I look for when it’s out?
Buy the Transgo kit for the diagram and instructions alone. It's only 20 bucks. Well worth it.

What to look for, I'm not entirely sure, the 1-2 shift is mostly effected by governor and I've never heard of it getting worse when warm.

Is fluid good? You might also look into the pressures and band adjustments.

There is a copy of a service manual on this site here ->

corvairking2017

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Buy the Transgo kit for the diagram and instructions alone. It's only 20 bucks. Well worth it.

What to look for, I'm not entirely sure, the 1-2 shift is mostly effected by governor and I've never heard of it getting worse when warm.

Is fluid good? You might also look into the pressures and band adjustments.

There is a copy of a service manual on this site here ->

yes fluid is new. It’s been changed twice since I’ve had it.

corvairking2017

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I figured I’d give you guys an update. I installed the trans cooler today. It made a world of difference in how the trans preforms. However, the issue is still there. I drove it for a while paying close attention to how it shifts. I’ve seen some people that have their 2nd gear go out and it’ll skip 2nd and go straight to 3rd. Mine doesn’t do that. One you let off the throttle it’ll shift into second and stay there until it goes into the following gear. It never slips in 2nd either. It’ll down shift to second just fine as well, no issues there. This is what has me so puzzled. It seems like classic governor problems, but it’s not stuck. Now I did notice the spring between the weight and the the governor did seem a little suspect. It wasn’t very “springy”. Could this possibly be my issue? I’ve heard of some of the shift kits coming with a governor return spring. Would that be of any benefit? I’m just at a loss cause every other shift up or down is fine. It’s just 1st to 2nd

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I figured I’d give you guys an update. I installed the trans cooler today. It made a world of difference in how the trans preforms. However, the issue is still there. I drove it for a while paying close attention to how it shifts. I’ve seen some people that have their 2nd gear go out and it’ll skip 2nd and go straight to 3rd. Mine doesn’t do that. One you let off the throttle it’ll shift into second and stay there until it goes into the following gear. It never slips in 2nd either. It’ll down shift to second just fine as well, no issues there. This is what has me so puzzled. It seems like classic governor problems, but it’s not stuck. Now I did notice the spring between the weight and the the governor did seem a little suspect. It wasn’t very “springy”. Could this possibly be my issue? I’ve heard of some of the shift kits coming with a governor return spring. Would that be of any benefit? I’m just at a loss cause every other shift up or down is fine. It’s just 1st to 2nd
I would look hard at the modulator too. I know you said you replaced it, but new parts are still suspect on these old rigs.

What exactly did you do when you worked on the governor previously? It might be worthwhile to add a return spring, but I would think that delay the shift even more?

corvairking2017

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I would look hard at the modulator too. I know you said you replaced it, but new parts are still suspect on these old rigs.

What exactly did you do when you worked on the governor previously? It might be worthwhile to add a return spring, but I would think that delay the shift even more?
I took the governor out and cleaned it and then replaced the weight with the bigger 35mm weight from sonnax. It looked good when I had it out. No scoring or anything just a little dirty. But it makes me wonder if something is trapped inside it. If you look on the back side of the governor there are veins for the fluid to go, or at least that’s what I’d assume they’re for. I wonder if there is an issue there. I tried to find a whole new governor assembly, but they were sold out pretty much everywhere I looked. Then the ones I found were remanded, which is fine if they’re good quality, but it listed several various sizes that it could have.
ive also wondered about the modulator. I’ve pulled the line and it’s not leaking but that doesn’t mean it’s necessarily good either. I just don’t know what brand to go with aftermarket that would be any good. I tried 2 from local parts stores and they were junk.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what to suggest about your problem but I did do the shift kit and some valve body work to my 92. Well worth the effort and it’s not really a hard job, just messy and requires patience. Haven’t got the videos done yet, but I have a thread on here with some of the info

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals