• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

weber 38 vs. holley 2300

nidf88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
has anyone put a weber carb on thier 2.8? lmc truck sells a kit with the 38degs. i have a weber on my datsun and i love it. weber vs. holley 2300?
concerning the duraspark conversion... will i notice a difference going with an msd box or digital box from summit?
also does anyone else sell the collar adapter for the pinto distributor other than napa?
BTW thanks to all for all the tech support over the years... without this site/forum i might still be on my 7th A4LD. (converted to FM146 3 years ago)

nidf88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
weber carb...... anyone?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also does anyone else sell the collar adapter for the pinto distributor other than napa?
I got the adapter that goes between the dist. and cap at Carquest for about $10, about any auto parts place should have them, and they can cross the Napa #'s in the tech gallery to theirs. Make sure to check them, my first one was for a V-8 in the V-6 box, it was a special order so I had to send it back and wait a couple days for the right one to come in.

I am using a junkyard duraspark box and the stock coil, it has probably been 2 months and I haven't had a regret yet. I do need to fix the stock carb yet, it is still running really rich as it has for years.

I have never been around MSD, a digital box or a weber carburator so I can't say anything about them.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not from experience, but an opinion.
I don't think you are going to get anymore power or help with the Weber. They are good carbs but they are expensive. I used to work on the Weber/Holley that were used on Pintos for years. Good carbs, but not a whole lot better than a regular Holley in m y opinion. The Webers I just looked at on the web are for off road use only and that can be a problem on the street.

You may have linkage and air cleaner problems too.

Sorry I can't give a better answer, but I guess this is better than nothing.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
LMC is great and all but they want $699 for the kit. Carburetion.com has the kit (K457) for $429. I found a couple other vendors online ranging from $475 to $510.

The only alternatives I've found are to raid a Pinto 2.8 V6 for the intake, carb, distributor, wiring, controller, etc or try to DIY with a new carb (from whatever source) and a new HEI-based distributor. Problem is I have gotten zero response from the Pinto community in looking for these parts. I am going to try the JY, to see if they even have a Pinto, other than it's new (read: expensive) parts or no conversion.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Also, I was curious about this "collar adapter"?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The coller is just a cone shaped adapter that goes between the distributer cap and the distributer. To run the system the only thing you really need from the junkyard is the harness to connect the box, coil and distributer, and if you are feeling lucky you can nab the box too. I got my harness off of the shot 1980 400 we have sitting around, the box came off of a old F-150 at a JY. A rebuilt distributer was about $70 (they took my old one for a $7 core too :secret:), the cap and coller were about $10 apeice, and the rotor was probably about $5 at most. For just the distributer side of it was just shy of $100 for everything touching the distributer being new. I tried finding used stuff too, but most Pinto's died decades ago, so I just went with new.

You can do the metering block mod to your stock carb and run it, I am going to do that as soon as I find a chunk of plastic that is 1/2" thick.

Last edited:

nidf88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks! autozone has the collar. cap, and button. metering block? sounds like to much work. looks like i just need to flip a coin for the carb selection. for the ignition box... i guess a better question would be is there a down side with goin msd? I probably wont even be able to tell a difference, right? at least i will be getting rid of all the emissions bs.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The coller is just a cone shaped adapter that goes between the distributer cap and the distributer.
A rebuilt distributer was about $70 (they took my old one for a $7 core too :secret:), the cap and coller were about $10 apeice,
The rotor was probably about $5 at most.
Durr.... I'm an idiot. The PN's were in the Tech Section.
Do you have PN's on the adapter / collar, distributor, cap, and rotor, and / or the model and year of car you were looking under? I'd like to go ahead and get all the parts from NAPA if the JY doesn't have anything.

I've heard that you ask for a 78 Pinto but there are two distributors (I think a single advance and a dual advance?). Just want to make sure I am looking for the right stuff.

Last edited:

KJMac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Weber

I have a little experience with weber carbs, it was on a turbocharged KZ1000 engine in a mini sandrail (sand Bullit).
This is what I have gatherd with experience and hearsay! Hard to tune, lots of time, money and energy. Don't work to good off road...Maybe fuel slosh? I'm waiting for my Holley 350 DS and MSD to get hear. I have always used MSD and do notice a difference.
My advice is a holley 350 and off-road needle and seat.

Good luck! I will let you know how it runs.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Durr.... I'm an idiot. The PN's were in the Tech Section.
Do you have PN's on the adapter / collar, distributor, cap, and rotor, and / or the model and year of car you were looking under? I'd like to go ahead and get all the parts from NAPA if the JY doesn't have anything.

I've heard that you ask for a 78 Pinto but there are two distributors (I think a single advance and a dual advance?). Just want to make sure I am looking for the right stuff.
I gave the Carquest guy the following #'s and told him it was a for a '79 Pinto. These #'s are in the 2.8 section of the Tech Library. I have the Carquest #'s in the truck, I won't see it again until next weekend.

48-2691 NAPA Auto Parts 979 Single Vacuum advance distributor
FA-136 NAPA Auto Parts Ignition Cap for 79 Vacuum advance distributor.
FA-139 NAPA Auto Parts Ignition Cap Adapter Collar for 79 Vacuum advance distributor.
FA-159 NAPA Auto Parts Ignition Rotor for 79 Vacuum advance distributor

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals