• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weak Brakes? Ideas?

Warmblood58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Maintain it dammit!
Hi all, my new to me '93 XLT 4wd (manual lock hubs five speed 4.0 OHV) brakes seem weak and as I have no basis for comparison other than other vehicles, it seems to me this ranger has a pretty weak braking system - are they just this way? Front brake rotors and pads just changed 3,000 miles ago -slight pull though to the right on braking at times. Rear drums were deemed fine at 50% wear. There have been a few instances where car in front of me suddenly braked and I have hit the brakes and both fade and skidding seem to happen simultaneously. Truck has BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's that are new, new Bilsteins up front, rear Monroe air shocks. Would love to improve braking ability to make this truck a little safer, I realize that the extra weight up front (diff) can contribute to weaker braking - are these trucks by nature "underbraked". Any ideas to improve braking measurably? Thanks!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
What kind of vehicles are you compareing it to?

Obviously if youre used to a 2018 mustang yeah, a 93 ranger is gonna feel weak lol.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Does the pedal feel solid or soft and mushy? Might be worth bleeding all 4 corners to make sure there's no air in the system. Next thing that comes to mind is vacuum to the booster. Not sure how to check that. Do you have the 10" diameter drums on the rear? I could see the 9" drums being weaker.

My '93 could use a little more brake power. But I'm running 35" tires. I still feel safe driving it though, even loaded or pulling a small trailer.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would ensure the rear brakes are adjusted properly... and the park brake cables aren't hung up.

I've owned several Rangers since 1988... I never really had and issue with fade or the feeling of being under braked.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Master cylinder may be going out, a brake line may be leaking just a bit.

You said you get brake fade, that is a good indicator that the master cylinder has an internal leak.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
All brake pads aren't created equal, did you buy good ones or the "economy" pads?

Warmblood58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Maintain it dammit!
Thanks all - good suggestions, rotors and pads top quality. I think I will push out old fluid and rebleed and see what result I get and before I do so, double check hoses and/or replace - new MC not out of the question, bench bleed that and get that into the mix, thanks. I understand the finned rear drums are the way to go -anyone do this? Dual piston front calipers anyone? Thanks again!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Can you get finned rear drums for your truck? I've only seen them on 9" drums for 7.5 axles. 10" drums and 8.8 axles don't have fins. If you can, it may help cool the drums a bit, but I don't think I'd spend any extra money on them.

I have had trouble with the RABS valve on several of these trucks. The one on my Explorer was leaking just a little and the brakes would get spongy. I had another one just rust up solid and the brakes would lock up. May not be your issue but it's worth looking at. I bypassed the valve in both cases.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Can you get finned rear drums for your truck? I've only seen them on 9" drums for 7.5 axles. 10" drums and 8.8 axles don't have fins. If you can, it may help cool the drums a bit, but I don't think I'd spend any extra money on them.
Aerostars had an available finned 10" drum. Bendix PDR0611 is a finned 10" drum for a 5x4.5 pattern.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals