• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

way to tighten door?

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My door rattles when i drive like the latch is loose. is there a way to fix this?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Open it and lift up on the end. If it flops up and down without lifting up on the whole side of the truck, you either have a loose hinge pin, or you just need new pins. Real common problem on Chevys and mid-90s F-series. Less common on Rangers, but it still happens.

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
+1 or sometimes the weatherstrip gets squished with age and the striker needs to be adjusted to pull it in tighter against the weatherstrip.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Another thing to look at is the door latch stiker. My first gen had hard plastic cover over the center section. After 20 years of door closing the plastic broke off and the door would rattle really bad I took some electrical tape and rapped it around the section were the palstic had covered make sure it's close to the same thickness or the door won't close all the way. It'll last a week or two give or take I kept a roll in the glove compartment to keep repairing it or you could just get a new stiker.

Last edited:

jhammel85

Another thing to look at is the door latch stiker. My first gen had hard plastic cover over the center section. After 20 years of door closing the plastic broke off and the door would rattle really bad I took some electrical tape and rapped it around the section were the palstic had covered make sure it's close to the same thickness or the door won't close all the way. It'll last a week or two give or take I kept a roll in the glove compartment to keep repairing it or you could just get a new stiker.

That! I did all of that at one point as well. Most likely, you just need a new striker:icon_thumby:

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just went out to look to see if it was that piece but I have a totally diff kind of striker? the hinge pins seem fine it just sounds like the latch is loose and the door isn't closed all the way

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I had that exact same problem before. I had to adjust the latch upwards a little. Now it hardly makes a noise except for on those washboard roads.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals