• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Water Temp Sender Location?

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Where is the water temp sender located in a 1986 Ranger with a 2.9? I'm pretty sure its the other sensor lookin thing to the right of the water temp sensor near the thermostat housing, but just want to be sure. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the sender, not the sensor.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you are correct
The ECT 2 wire sensor is near the upper rad hose/thermostat housing on lower intake
The Temp Sender is 1 wire and near the ECT sensor

ECT is 5volt
Sender is 12volt
So not the same internally

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, you are correct
The ECT 2 wire sensor is near the upper rad hose/thermostat housing on lower intake
The Temp Sender is 1 wire and near the ECT sensor

ECT is 5volt
Sender is 12volt
So not the same internally
Ok thank you, I was having issues with my gauge and that part looked pretty old so I figure why not replace it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you pull the 1 wire off sender and ground it with a jumper wire, then turn the key on, the temp gauge should to all the way up to HOT
If so the wire and gauge are OK, replace sender

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I know this wasn't the point of the thread, but I replaced the sender and now the temp gauge just goes from minimum to maximum in about 30 seconds of driving, even though the radiator or inlet hose isn't very hot. There's no way that's right. Also, I tried to get the air out of the coolant by putting a funnel on the radiator cap and filling it with coolant, then letting it run for 10 mins. No bubbles ever showed and the radiator was cool until I started driving, even though the temp gauge was above half way and continuing to go up while idling

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You got a bad or the wrong sender, should look like this: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61sFvK2ShoS.jpg
Replace it

If it has a Cone shaped tip its a 5v sensor not a SENDER: https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/8872e590-42af-4f67-923b-9bb05adf4fcc_1.fde6bd74b5585778a13f1c28d5ee04dc.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF

When engine is cold take one heater hose off at the firewall, doesn't matter which one
Refill radiator until coolant is coming out of firewall AND hose
Put hose back on
ALL the air is out

The heater is on the engine side of the Thermostat, rad cap is on the radiator side
When engine is cold thermostat is closed
So when you refill cooling system air gets trapped in the engine/heads behind thermostat
Heater hose is at rad cap level, so with a hose removed coolant can push the air out as you refill via radiator cap opening
Easy peasy lemon squeezy

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You got a bad or the wrong sender, should look like this: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61sFvK2ShoS.jpg
Replace it

If it has a Cone shaped tip its a 5v sensor not a SENDER: https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/8872e590-42af-4f67-923b-9bb05adf4fcc_1.fde6bd74b5585778a13f1c28d5ee04dc.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF

When engine is cold take one heater hose off at the firewall, doesn't matter which one
Refill radiator until coolant is coming out of firewall AND hose
Put hose back on
ALL the air is out

The heater is on the engine side of the Thermostat, rad cap is on the radiator side
When engine is cold thermostat is closed
So when you refill cooling system air gets trapped in the engine/heads behind thermostat
Heater hose is at rad cap level, so with a hose removed coolant can push the air out as you refill via radiator cap opening
Easy peasy lemon squeezy
Maybe a bad sender. I got a Standard TS374, which looks exactly the same as the one you sent. I already replaced the cone shaped tip one. The funnel I was talking about is this one pictured. I've used it to get the air out of the coolant before, just filled the funnel up, let it run until operating temp, then it sucks the coolant down.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals