• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Water Softener Troubleshooting?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Anybody here work on these things on a regular basis? I just bought a house and it seems like the softener isnt regenerating properly. Specifically, it seems like it's not drawing brine out of the tank. Looking for someone that can help me troubleshoot this thing, weather it be in person, over the phone or online. I just don't want to have to pay someone to do it for me. I'm a service tech, I'm used to working on stuff, i just dont have any experience with softeners. So, who wants to help? :beer:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It's been a long time since I had anything to do with softeners and it was larger units than the domestic units but I suppose the principals are similar. The things that were the most troublesome were the solenoids that controlled the valves and sometimes the valves themselves. I would start by checking that all the valves are actually working. Sorry I can't be of more help.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The 2 times I had a brine problem with mine it was because something clogged the orifice in the nozzle. I'd google the model of softener and find directions on how to clean it.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've got the service manual for it and I've been googling all day. I checked the injector nozzle and a couple different filter/screens with no luck. As far as I can tell, when it should be drawing brine, its actually trying to fill. I'm starting to think the venturi might be messed up, I'll look into that tomorrow.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think i've got it. I pulled the drain line after reading that the flow control orifice on the drain is prone to clogging. Didnt look like anything out of the ordinary, no crud, no buildup. I blew through the line just to double check and i definitely blew something out! Put it all back together and started a manual cycle. The quantity of water draining through the line during backflush is huge compared to what it was. After the backflush it actually started drawing brine! Now that i know a little more about these things, i can see how a clogged drain would have been causing problems. Best part? I didn't have to spend a dime. I'm gonna manually run a couple regeneration cycles, you wouldn't believe the stuff coming out in the backflush. Nasty.

bruker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Be sure to run some Iron-Out through it occasionally.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
it finally regenerated on it's own, maybe thursday or friday night, i dont remember for sure. it was probably about 12 days since the last regeneration. this particular unit has a water meter, and as long as things are set up right, it only regenerates when it needs to. now i need to test the (untreated) water and do some math, try to decide how often it really should be regenerating. this one is a 48k grain unit, so not exactly small, and i'm the only one here using water. two weeks between regenerations might not be so far fetched.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals