• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Water Pump

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Well after 9 years today the water pump gave out on my truck, I saw the temperature shoot up and the red light come on so I pulled over and shut off my truck. Well I'm going to replace it tomorrow, is there anything I should know about replacing it or is it fairly straight forward?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What engine?

Need a fan clutch wrench set or good belt strap wrench and thin crescent wrench or ??

But fairly straight forward, on some water pumps the bolts are different lengths, some are obviously longer or shorter, some not so much,(Toyotas!!!) keep them in the correct order

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
what engine?

Need a fan clutch wrench set or good belt strap wrench and thin crescent wrench or ??

But fairly straight forward, on some water pumps the bolts are different lengths, some are obviously longer or shorter, some not so much,(toyotas!!!) keep them in the correct order
4.0 sohc v6

I let it cool down all the way and just coasted it into the hangar to work on, still starts up fine and sounds just like normal so I don't think I did any damage to the engine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yes, keep a good thought :)

Overheating is a bit like buying a lotto ticket a month ahead of time :)

You pay your money but won't know end results for awhile

When an engine heats up the head metal expands, as well as the block metal but not as much, and when engine is shut off metal cools down and shrinks.
So every heat up/cool down squeezes the head gasket between head and block.

When you over heat, the head metal expands even more, especially aluminum heads, this adds more pressure on the head gasket, and it can be crushed, or weakened.

You could pressure test cooling system before starting the water pump job, and it could tell you of a problem before doing that work, but it isn't definitive that no damage was done.

Which is why you "keep a good thought" :)

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
yes, keep a good thought :)

Overheating is a bit like buying a lotto ticket a month ahead of time :)

You pay your money but won't know end results for awhile

When an engine heats up the head metal expands, as well as the block metal but not as much, and when engine is shut off metal cools down and shrinks.
So every heat up/cool down squeezes the head gasket between head and block.

When you over heat, the head metal expands even more, especially aluminum heads, this adds more pressure on the head gasket, and it can be crushed, or weakened.

You could pressure test cooling system before starting the water pump job, and it could tell you of a problem before doing that work, but it isn't definitive that no damage was done.

Which is why you "keep a good thought" :)

I just don't understand why it decided to crap out all of a sudden, my truck only has 70,000 miles on it.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There's really not much in a water pump to fail. They'll start pissing from the weep hole, but can run for a long time like that until the bearings fail.

That being said, with a leak it won't hold pressure, and your boiling point decreases dramatically. On a hot day, it can definitely cause it to overheat.

I would sniff the coolant with a block tester just to make sure a head gasket isn't leaking, but it's probably okay.

I'd replace the thermostat while the coolant is drained as well.

BTW, you can use an air hammer and punch on the big fan nut. It may be a left hand thread as well, usually there is a decal on the core support if it is.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Fan is not left-hand thread.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
There's really not much in a water pump to fail. They'll start pissing from the weep hole, but can run for a long time like that until the bearings fail.

That being said, with a leak it won't hold pressure, and your boiling point decreases dramatically. On a hot day, it can definitely cause it to overheat.

I would sniff the coolant with a block tester just to make sure a head gasket isn't leaking, but it's probably okay.

I'd replace the thermostat while the coolant is drained as well.

BTW, you can use an air hammer and punch on the big fan nut. It may be a left hand thread as well, usually there is a decal on the core support if it is.
It's never had an issue on a hot day before, I've driven on hotter days than this. When it overheated I let it cool down and started it up again to drive it back to the ranch, and maybe only 2 minutes the light came back on and I had to pull back over to let it cool off. The pump probably died, it also makes a high pitched whine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With a 4.0l SOHC I would change thermostat if it was overheated, and check around the housing for current or past coolant leaks, stains.

Good read here on that: http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

So if you loosen and remove fan belt from water pump and then spin the water pump it makes a noise?

But no coolant is leaking out the underside of the pump?

No coolant leaking would be unusual, weep hole on the underside of the pump is there to help ID a failed or failing pump, if impeller starts to go it causes a wobble that breaks the seal and coolant starts to leak out, or if bearing starts to go it causes a wobble and seal starts leaking.
So when a water pump fails it always leaks, certainly possible for electrolysis to eat away at the impeller blades until it simply can't circulate enough coolant, but that wouldn't be sudden, I would expect warmer and warmer operating temps over a few weeks and months

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
With a 4.0l SOHC I would change thermostat if it was overheated, and check around the housing for current or past coolant leaks, stains.

Good read here on that: http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

So if you loosen and remove fan belt from water pump and then spin the water pump it makes a noise?

But no coolant is leaking out the underside of the pump?

No coolant leaking would be unusual, weep hole on the underside of the pump is there to help ID a failed or failing pump, if impeller starts to go it causes a wobble that breaks the seal and coolant starts to leak out, or if bearing starts to go it causes a wobble and seal starts leaking.
So when a water pump fails it always leaks, certainly possible for electrolysis to eat away at the impeller blades until it simply can't circulate enough coolant, but that wouldn't be sudden, I would expect warmer and warmer operating temps over a few weeks and months
Well I didn't have much time to look at it, but tomorrow I'm going to investigate and see whats all going on. There was coolant everywhere from it coming out the pressure relief valve but I didn't see any definitive leaks or such.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Coolant would come out of the overflow tank, when engine started to over heat.

So any bubbling over would tend to be on the passenger side of engine bay.

If it is "everywhere" then a hose probably cracked and started spraying out coolant, that could have been the cause of the overheating or the result as pressure in the system got higher than normal

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
So problem has been found. My dad came up and we went about trying to see what happened. Well upon starting the engine and adding some coolant to the radiator since it all leaked out we found out that the thermostat and the thermostat housing pretty much exploded. And I literally mean exploded because they both were in chunks and coolant was spraying out of the housing. About $70 bucks and 2 hours later with a trip to Whataburger we had the new thermostat and housing in place which was an interesting job. Drained all the old coolant out and filled up with some new stuff. (Was on sale for the 4th specials.) And slapped on a new belt, the old one is in good condition but its at 70,000 miles so might as well. Did some testing and drove around for awhile on the road and highway and it stays below the halfway point on the gauge so fingers crossed its fixed.
Water pump was not the issue, you guys were right.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for the follow post and fix

Leaking/cracked thermostat housing on the 4.0l SOHC is not uncommon, but first time I read about it disintegrating

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for the follow post and fix

Leaking/cracked thermostat housing on the 4.0l SOHC is not uncommon, but first time I read about it denigrating
I'll take some picture of it later.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals