• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Water pump removal...

Ranger Tony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Can a water pump, fan-clutch and fan be removed from a 91, 4.0 without removing the radiator?

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Yes it can. Unbolt the fan shroud from the radiator, and remove it with the fan after it is removed from the water pump.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I changed the water pump in a 5.0L Explorer with the radiator in place, a 4.0L should be doable... like said above, take the fan out with the shroud and that'll open up miles of room.

I still have a broken off bolt in there though... one of the long ones that goes through the timing cover that like to get corroded in place... I think that's a 5.0L thing though... it's on the list...

Ranger Tony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes it can. Unbolt the fan shroud from the radiator, and remove it with the fan after it is removed from the water pump.
I changed the water pump in a 5.0L Explorer with the radiator in place, a 4.0L should be doable... like said above, take the fan out with the shroud and that'll open up miles of room.

I still have a broken off bolt in there though... one of the long ones that goes through the timing cover that like to get corroded in place... I think that's a 5.0L thing though... it's on the list...
thanks

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
As stated above yes... another helpful hint, dont bother with the fan clutch remover kit from Autozone... it is s stamped steel peice of crap and the 36mm jaws are likely to already be spread or will spread when you use it... go to amazon sand get a Sunnex 36mm wrench for 17 bucks and a water pump pulley tool for 2 bucks. much better results, and you have a wrench that you can use on other 36 mm bolts should you ever come across any :)

AJ

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If the fan cannot be broken free from the water pump it is possible, with a very long extension, to get the water pump out with the fan on. If you have the full length fan shroud you will need to take it off the rad and put it as far back as possible.

romcjr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 & 2019
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Engine Size
4.0l V6 & 2.3L ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75r/16
As stated above yes... another helpful hint, dont bother with the fan clutch remover kit from Autozone... it is s stamped steel peice of crap and the 36mm jaws are likely to already be spread or will spread when you use it... go to amazon sand get a Sunnex 36mm wrench for 17 bucks and a water pump pulley tool for 2 bucks. much better results, and you have a wrench that you can use on other 36 mm bolts should you ever come across any :)

AJ
Any chance you have links to those tools ? Thanks for the help !!! :dntknw:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Any chance you have links to those tools ? Thanks for the help !!! :dntknw:

After perusing my Amazon orders...

here is the wrench, and it is now 3 bucks cheaper than what I paid for it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YK7JIK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the pulley tool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BCLNF02/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pulley tool is no longer available, but it was only 2 bucks. do a quick search on it and see if there is another brand. you also may be able to use a long screw driver against two pulley bolts to keep the pulley from turning once you get the wrench on it.

AJ

romcjr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 & 2019
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Engine Size
4.0l V6 & 2.3L ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75r/16
After perusing my Amazon orders...

here is the wrench, and it is now 3 bucks cheaper than what I paid for it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YK7JIK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the pulley tool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BCLNF02/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pulley tool is no longer available, but it was only 2 bucks. do a quick search on it and see if there is another brand. you also may be able to use a long screw driver against two pulley bolts to keep the pulley from turning once you get the wrench on it.

AJ
Thanks for the help !! I will browse around as I see other tools and kits available . :icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals