• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Warranty vs self oil changes.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Did a car dealer abuse you as a child? :icon_confused:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
No doubt every customer that has been hit with a $1000+ bill at a stealership, & did not get their problem fixed, feels the same way.
Sounds like you had a bad experience with a dealership and you’re taking it out on every other dealer in existence.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I lived the "stigma" owning a franchised business for 10 years. I actually bought the worst performing store in the state of Illinois... and in 10 years sold it as one of the top performing stores in the state.

It was a bunch of work but it paid pretty big dividends.

To group specific businesses into one sour pile of dissatisfaction is absurd. There are a lot of hard working people that take pride in what they do...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
No doubt every customer that has been hit with a $1000+ bill at a stealership, & did not get their problem fixed, feels the same way.
There are good maintenance departments and bad maintenance departments at any dealership just like with any business. I’ve experienced both.

Assuming all are bad or all are good is unfair.

Some also just have a bad mechanic that just hasn’t been canned yet.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had a 1991 Mercury Sable wagon that went to the dealer three times for the same problem. Had 190,000km on it (do the math yourself), starting it cold, it'd start warming up, then as soon as I started driving, stall. Dealership had it three times, first two times they cleaned the MAF. The second cleaning, they didn't charge me, because they'd just done it. Third time, they replaced it. Wasn't the dealer's fault they had the car three times for the same problem.

My 1985 Ranger went to Walmart the first time I had to change the oil. They overfilled it. Next time, it went to Canadian Tire. When they were done, before they pulled it out of the shop, I asked for permission to go into the shop. Pulled the dipstick, and found they'd over filled it (not as much as Walmart had). Service Advisor had a few choice words for me, so the next time, I went to the local Ford dealer. They treated me well, did the job right (they should, after all, the Ford dealer and their service techs would know my Ford better than any other service department).

Bottom line is that I've had lots of experience with dealers, five different ones, in fact, and I've never been forced into a repair that I didn't want done. On the other hand, I've had other shops try to force me into repairs I didn't want (because I couldn't afford the repair). I even had a good shop do a repair without asking me for permission first (they made it right, though).

To our valued service techs that are here: I very much appreciate your input into the forum, and your advice on repairs. I'm glad y'all are here.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Dealership, shop, a friend someone suggested. I treat all the same (except for wal-mart, thats a whole different forum), do some research, ask friends/colleagues for recommendations. Go and talk to the shop and techs in person. My local dealer works on the superduty from time to time, I always request the same guy do the work. My only complaint is price. Thank you to all the ford techs input here. Don't forget the whole honey/vinegar thing, yall know what I'm talking about!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Since all five of my vehicles are well beyond having a warranty, I just change the oil whenever I desire. My Lightning, I ma the most picky on. 3000 miles and that's that, Mobile 1, 10W-40. My Mustang, every 5000, Mobile 1, 10W-40. My 98 Ranger 3.0, whenever I feel like it, usually 10,000 or more. Valvoline Max Life 20W-50.

My sister had borrowed my Ranger in late 2009. When I finally got it back from her in late 2013, it has over 40,000 miles more than when she first got it. She never changed the oil once, never cleaned it, inside or out. And yet, it still uses no oil during whatever period I choose for oil changes. It has a small leak that leaves a silver dollar spot on the ground. But since I take the Camshaft Position Sensor off every month and squirt some oil down there, I guess that suffices to replace the drip. Because I haven't had to add a drop since the last time I changed it, well over 5000 miles ago.

Mike Tonon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I was doing full synthetic whatever brand the auto store had a sale on, which includes a Purolator filter, every 5,000 miles. This time I decided to try Amsoil. The top of the line Signature Series oil and their 25,000 mile oil filter. I changed the filter out at 5,000 miles. I cut it open and didn’t see much buildup. I plan on draining the oil at 10,000 miles and sending in a sample to Blackstone Labs. If they say it was still in great condition, I’m going to be doing every 10,000 miles, with the Amsoil oil and filter. I do mostly highway miles, anyways.

07 4.0 SOHC with 117,500 miles.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I’m late to the dance on this link, but always have my 2 cents....

From a different perspective, we ran between 250-300 Rangers and S10s. This was mid 90s to 2009 when I sold my shareS. They usually lasted us 3-4 years (we sampled on construction sites and my guys were brutal on them). We did about 35,000-40,000 miles a year. We bought or leased 25-30 trucks at a time and took delivery of 4-5 per month. +/-

We had 3 maintenance shops in the southeast, and we changed our own oil. We targeted 3,500 miles, and rarely ever went over 4,000.

We bought the absolute cheapest oil we could get that met the truck spec. We bought the absolute cheapest filters we could that met the truck spec. We had 3-4 engines fail a year, whether new or 90k. We always had to fight a little for the warranty, but we always got much more than the repair costs/replacement.

We tracked maintenance, which oil, which shop, everything, and never found any significant correlations except don’t buy dodge for heavy duty use. although we did international work, my partners and I would only by US-made trucks.

what we learned. If you track your oil changes, it’s pretty easy to get warranty coverage if you know how to track it: you need 3 bits of information. Date, mileage, and if it’s not specific in the printed receipt, you need the name/part number of the oil and the Ford/chevy spec. You have to verify the date, mileage and spec, not the price. Hand written notes are fine, but I’d use photos today

the other thing we discovered was training records. Doesn’t have to be much. We got a maintenance manual for the truck, the kind shops use. Haynes or chitons are fine. Then we copied the section on oil change procedure onto a “training” form, went through it with the mechanics, and they and we signed the form that they had been trained in proper procedures, and filed it with the truck records. You can make a similar form for yourself at home even if you copy the procedure off the net or from a buddy.

now, I’m not going to blow sunshine up your collective butts and say it didn’t hurt that we bought so many trucks, but I am not aware we ever played that card. The warranty claims were with Ford/Chevy, and not the dealership the way we bought them, fleet sales.

you get the idea, always my 2 cents!

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Afterthought, on my own junk, I use good stuff, not necessarily the best, but I’m religious on the timing

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I’m late to the dance on this link, but always have my 2 cents....

From a different perspective, we ran between 250-300 Rangers and S10s. This was mid 90s to 2009 when I sold my shareS. They usually lasted us 3-4 years (we sampled on construction sites and my guys were brutal on them). We did about 35,000-40,000 miles a year. We bought or leased 25-30 trucks at a time and took delivery of 4-5 per month. +/-

We had 3 maintenance shops in the southeast, and we changed our own oil. We targeted 3,500 miles, and rarely ever went over 4,000.

We bought the absolute cheapest oil we could get that met the truck spec. We bought the absolute cheapest filters we could that met the truck spec. We had 3-4 engines fail a year, whether new or 90k. We always had to fight a little for the warranty, but we always got much more than the repair costs/replacement.

We tracked maintenance, which oil, which shop, everything, and never found any significant correlations except don’t buy dodge for heavy duty use. although we did international work, my partners and I would only by US-made trucks.

what we learned. If you track your oil changes, it’s pretty easy to get warranty coverage if you know how to track it: you need 3 bits of information. Date, mileage, and if it’s not specific in the printed receipt, you need the name/part number of the oil and the Ford/chevy spec. You have to verify the date, mileage and spec, not the price. Hand written notes are fine, but I’d use photos today

the other thing we discovered was training records. Doesn’t have to be much. We got a maintenance manual for the truck, the kind shops use. Haynes or chitons are fine. Then we copied the section on oil change procedure onto a “training” form, went through it with the mechanics, and they and we signed the form that they had been trained in proper procedures, and filed it with the truck records. You can make a similar form for yourself at home even if you copy the procedure off the net or from a buddy.

now, I’m not going to blow sunshine up your collective butts and say it didn’t hurt that we bought so many trucks, but I am not aware we ever played that card. The warranty claims were with Ford/Chevy, and not the dealership the way we bought them, fleet sales.

you get the idea, always my 2 cents!
(1) I wouldn't accept 3-4 engine failures a year with a fleet that small. We had a long time fleet customer with over 100 VINs in our system and I don't remember them ever having an engine failure. They always got at least 250,000 miles out of every truck.
(2) You don't need to point out the size of your fleet to a dealer, unless they're completely unconscious they'll know who their volume customers are.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
(1) I wouldn't accept 3-4 engine failures a year with a fleet that small. We had a long time fleet customer with over 100 VINs in our system and I don't remember them ever having an engine failure. They always got at least 250,000 miles out of every truck.
We have 1800 pieces in our fleet... we haven’t lost a motor yet this year.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One of our deliver guys says he usually gets a new engine in his GM delivery van around 300k, usually the van itself is shot around 600k.

And he drives it like he stole it...

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It's still kinda early...
We did junk 3 vehicles this week for rot holes in the frames...
2006 international 4700 w/ 212k miles.
2004 f250 w/ 116k miles.
1984 Shitbox trailer. (<— maybe not the exact year, make, and model... close enough.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals