• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Want to add bed rack/roof rack system

Crosscut_Drifter

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Crosscut_Drifter,

Who is the manufacturer of this unit ?

No idea as I only grabbed the image.

As for your link, its the same one I posted. 😎 I like that, but this one has the rack go over the cab.

Our Ranger beds are small and now wondering if its just better to go to a F-150 or Ram later on. If I upgrade, I'd rather go full size and an 8 ft bed for extra gear/storage units.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If you’re ok with the almost $2000 price point of the one you posted earlier, you may want to stop by a local fab shop (I’d find a small family owned race car chassis shop.) and see what it would cost you to have something custom made. It may not be that bad.

Crosscut_Drifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, its like I want a combination of the two. From top down a canoe over the folded tent that matches cab height and cab itself, then storage system in the bed covered by removeable tarp.

$2000 would be ok if its exactly what I want, but some mods and adaptions would still need to be done on the best choice available.

May be better to save the idea for the next ideal truck that has what I'd want for it.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
No idea as I only grabbed the image.

As for your link, its the same one I posted. 😎 I like that, but this one has the rack go over the cab.

Our Ranger beds are small and now wondering if its just better to go to a F-150 or Ram later on. If I upgrade, I'd rather go full size and an 8 ft bed for extra gear/storage units.

I do like the one you posted earlier in the thread and the 12 Degrees North Unit is good too except for the new Ranger... and it has to be higher.

The F-150, sounds like a great idea... IF new and you have an extra $50K then you might get a new one, not sure where the pricing is on used.

The F-150, size-wise, is good but I wanted to buy new a while back and got REALLY scared of the prices... WHY !
I like the idea of the larger bed, gives me a larger bed box and more rack space, when out camping it is good to have extra space.

I would like to have a rack for the Ranger that is easy on, easy off, pull it in the barn, hook up a lift and Wham-Bam no rack.
That would eliminate any difficulties after camping.

Good Luck on your search.

Crosscut_Drifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I absolutely would not go new with most current trucks. Prices are ridiculous, thankfully I'm good with the more basic trims. I don't want GDI with turbo(s), auto-startstop, more sensors, more complications, etc. The new truck designs are very tall as well. Not great for my army hips.

Whatever fullsize truck it should be with a stout V8, especially with a 8 ft bed (more load capacity). 4x4 need undetermined.

As for my current Ranger, the cap is fine for now, but when I can, I'll go to the one accessory place to see what they say. If they suggest
a fabricatior, I'll go from there. If costs too much, then I'll hold out to "trade up" later on.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I know many folks are into CAD these days... I'm still old school and use graph paper to put my ideas on. While things are locked down.... maybe put pencil to paper and sketch out your vision. It would certainly help someone build your vision if they could see what you have in mind. It will also pass some time...

Crosscut_Drifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Funnily enough I'm starting mechanical engineering in September. Potential project?

Ever see that show "Assembly Required" on History Channel? Really liking some of the creativity with their challenges.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Before Covid, I asked a local shop about making a set of Sliders with an extra bar, similar to what is being offered by 12 Degrees North, and the guy gave me a price of $950.00... WTF !
I don't understand why everything is going through the roof... I call it price gouging. I was going to have a PCP Pellet Rifle tweeted a little, trying to edge out a little more POWER and in Dec, just passed, they gave me a price. Me being who I am took more time to decide if I wanted to spend the money on my Varmint Killer, just got back to the guy and he had raised his price by $100.00.
I asked what changed, what was added to the kit to make it worth more money, he told me he had to adjust to keep up with the market. PRICE GOUGING again, at its finest !

The same thing is happening with the Auto Industry but the prices at this time are so far out of my range I just have to laugh... Dodge just came out with their Raptor Killer, I think it is called the TRX, $70K... starting price !
What can be on a new truck that is worth that much money... problem is their are people that will buy it !

Anyway post pictures when you are getting close.

Ltr

Crosscut_Drifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Every material cost is going up. Look at housing markets and building materials. Sure your home may be $500,000 on market, but Insurance won't cover that if destroyed, only actual initial worth. Rebuilding would cost lots. Plus labour costs as many businesses would like to catch up on those dollars too.

My next truck is for LONG term until the power decide you can't own a fossil fuel vehcile (they'll start with gas guzzlers or impose HIGH taxes on it).

I say simpler, the better for long term costs being kept down.

I'm attaching two more "in the ball park" images for the vision. Same system, on full size.

I would make the one side bar removeable for tent deployment, the tent sits on racks like what you have Scrambler.
In hte bed would be tonneucover, like retractable and then for the bed, pull out drawer system ( in 3rd / 4th image ).

Of course nothing exact, just the idea of capabilities as needed and easily removeable of extra accesorries. Like for side storage
could be for one side behind the tent. Many ways to configure.

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The prices for everything are going up from basic materials and utilities and so on. It’s a snowball effect with each layer added on.

There certainly is price gouging going on as well. So, I’m not discounting that.

Also, it depends on the skill level and quality of work a shop puts out. High quality workmanship and product is not cheap. Especially on a one off product.

@Dirtman can explain it better.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Price gouging is intentionally raising prices during an emergency. Nothing to do with raising prices because materials and costs increase. A craftsman of any kind cannot by definition "price gouge" for custom work. He can charge you a million dollars to build something you think should cost 50 bucks but that is not price gouging. Just clarifying the term.

If you go to a local welder to build you some racks or whatever they may charge you $50 bucks an hour. They figure out how many hours it should take, price of material, and give you a quote. If you go down the road to another welder they may charge you $150 an hour for the same thing. You immediately say the second guy is ripping me off right? Well if the first welder is just some guy in a shed with no training, $50 bucks an hour is a fair price. If the second welder spent years in school and training, has certifications, and expensive equipment and uses quality materials his time is worth more. Doesn’t matter what the product you want made is, the second guys time is simply more valuable.

I'd have people come to me to have silly things made. I gave the same price per hour to build a coat rack as I would to fix a nuclear reactor. Don't like the price? Then don't come to a guy who can fix nuclear reactors to build you a coat rack. :dunno:

Materials (especially metal) prices also fluctuate DAILY. If you get a quote for something a month ago that doesn't mean you'll get the same quote today. I give prices on material from that day and make it clear the quote is null and void if you come back later. Nothing I can do about it, your price reflects my price at any given time. Blame fuel costs, the economy, coronas, magic leprechauns, I don't set the price of steel or understand why it changes so much. And it's not my responsibility to take the financial hit because I quoted you for something when steel was 10 cents a pound and you come back and it's now 2 dollars a pound. Come back in 6 months and maybe the price will drop back down. :dunno:

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm not sure if this is correct section, where this will be seen.

I thought I'd reach out here first, but I'm sure this could end being a custom project considering its a 10 year + platform.

I'd like to get rid of my cap and go with something like (as in not as fancy) in the attached image to carry a canoe or tent, and with a removeable tarp or compatible roll up tonneau cover as required if there is something I don't want getting wet.

I anybody has pictures of their with something like this, please post them. It may give me other ideas. Even better if there is a retailer that still is friendly with our Rangers. Becuase the majority of searches are the new Rangers.

Datan Fab: Canvas Cage.

I found it on soft toppers website.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
That's probably going to be the best route. We're on another lockdown, so I'll have to go around in person after its done. I want to start with this frame concept and modify from there. (ie removeable bars for tent deployment).
I ran a kargo master for 15 years and beat the crap out of it.....good base for a diy...

Crosscut_Drifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
View attachment 58910

Datan Fab: Canvas Cage.

I found it on soft toppers website.
Looks good at first look. I'd have to research the soft top's functionality in how it disassembles and such. The rack is good, but I'd need it lower for the folding tent so a canoe can go on top.

IF I could get that set up, I'd get an upolstery guy to make a canvas to go over the rack. Full coverage, roll up, removeable.

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looks good at first look. I'd have to research the soft top's functionality in how it disassembles and such. The rack is good, but I'd need it lower for the folding tent so a canoe can go on top.

IF I could get that set up, I'd get an upolstery guy to make a canvas to go over the rack. Full coverage, roll up, removeable.
Soft topper has two rails that clamp down on the bedsides, and some aluminum poles, with the fabric cover. Folds up and down pretty easily, when it's folded down it is rolled up near the car window, and when it is up it is about the same size as a fiberglass top.

I had one on my F-150 for years and I loved it. Could pop it up or down in five minutes by myself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals