• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Want more power

Delifisek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
171 V6
Transmission
Manual
Ummm I'm not sure to availability in USA.

And best replacement for 2.9 was 2.9 Cosworth. Which produces 200 hp from factory.

If that scorpio cosworths sell in USA under mercury brand, you may swap or import from england.

It may sound stupid and I just want give an option.

Regards

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
merkur made the scorpio, not mercury :D

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Time for TRSism number 30

30. More Horse power? Time for a 4.0 swap.

Seriously though, $850 for an intake plenum? That's crazy. And then you just have all that air going into some very restrictive heads...not very ideal for your high RPM 'BOSS' plenum. :annoyed:

You could do two 4.0 swaps for $850.

Last edited:

Delifisek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
171 V6
Transmission
Manual
merkur made the scorpio, not mercury :D
Well you know, sometimes following brands from 20k km distance was difficult and thanks for update :)

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was thinking the same thing on my 84 B II, the 2.8 is a good engine, just not enough power. im starting the 4.0 swap this week, and i think it is the most cost effective. even if you convert a 4.0 to a carb, i believe you still need the computer for the ignition. do the 4.0 swap, its just nuts and bolts, and a small amount of wiring! if you can change your own diff's, you can swap an engine/trans! i bought a 91 explorer with 4.0/M5OD for $200 on craigslist! cant get much cheaper than that!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The pushrod 4.0 doesn't make much more horsepower than the 2.9: 10-20hp depending on the year and vehicle. In a race it's horsepower that matters, regardless of what rpm, and the 4.0 isn't making that much more. In regular use, the 4.0 is much, much better than the 2.9 because it makes a lot more torque--more horsepower at lower rpms where you use it a lot. If your truck is geared for that engine to be hitting its maximum rpms then there is no advantage to swapping in a 4.0. If you were trail riding or rockcrawling or towing a trailer or just driving around, the 4.0 is a lot better. You are racing and keeping the engine near its maximum rpms and getting your torque from gears.

The only real problem with the 2.9 is the speed density system. Swap to a MAF meter system and then whatever you do to improve airflow through the engine will make a difference. What you want is to move more air through it and use that air to burn more fuel and make more power. You want rpms, and lots of them. Spinning that engine at 6,000rpm will make 180hp, if you can get it to breath. You would have the same breathing issues with a 4.0 if you swapped that in. The 4.0 is bigger and could theoretically make more power, but it's the same route with either engine. Where are you going to get the parts? Who has flow-tested port work on these and will do your heads? Who can make an intake manifold to replace the truck-tuned one Ford put on?

Doing what you are doing, I'd work with the 2.9. Racing is partly seeing what you can get something to do. Why not use what you have?

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A OHC 4.0 will make power throughout the rpm band which takes care of the major OHV 4.0 flaw.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
OHC 4.0 is a much more involved swap in terms of wiring.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
The pushrod 4.0 doesn't make much more horsepower than the 2.9: 10-20hp depending on the year and vehicle. In a race it's horsepower that matters, regardless of what rpm, and the 4.0 isn't making that much more. In regular use, the 4.0 is much, much better than the 2.9 because it makes a lot more torque--more horsepower at lower rpms where you use it a lot. If your truck is geared for that engine to be hitting its maximum rpms then there is no advantage to swapping in a 4.0. If you were trail riding or rockcrawling or towing a trailer or just driving around, the 4.0 is a lot better. You are racing and keeping the engine near its maximum rpms and getting your torque from gears.

The only real problem with the 2.9 is the speed density system. Swap to a MAF meter system and then whatever you do to improve airflow through the engine will make a difference. What you want is to move more air through it and use that air to burn more fuel and make more power. You want rpms, and lots of them. Spinning that engine at 6,000rpm will make 180hp, if you can get it to breath. You would have the same breathing issues with a 4.0 if you swapped that in. The 4.0 is bigger and could theoretically make more power, but it's the same route with either engine. Where are you going to get the parts? Who has flow-tested port work on these and will do your heads? Who can make an intake manifold to replace the truck-tuned one Ford put on?

Doing what you are doing, I'd work with the 2.9. Racing is partly seeing what you can get something to do. Why not use what you have?
I am bouncing off the rev limiter before i ever let the clutch out, and i keep it at 6 grand till im stuck. what i do now it "trench Racing".
Vid of me racing
http://youtu.be/JS_79psegUM

sorry the vid sucks. pics can better show how nasty this mud is.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93340&page=2

any way i just about dominate in my class, but want more power to keep it that way. i also want more power because i am thinking about getting into "Mud drags"( a 100 yard drag race in about 6inch deep mud)

this vid is of the drags, not me
http://youtu.be/bHBKI5HQEOk
there is a nasty jeep with a 6cyl stroker, that usually wins the 6 cyl class. i want the power to win at that too.
and i am also thinking about getting into hill climbs at this event

http://youtu.be/OwlF2odvP34
so basicly i will always be at or around 6000 rpm.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it's stock it can't be making much power at 6,000.

I'm against carbs for street vehicles. In your case, you could make much more power with a carb because the stock efi intake is restrictive. I'd make a sheet metal intake manifold LIKE THIS.

Just use steel, it doesn't need to be aluminum.

And run a 600 Holley on it, or an AFB. Then hog the ports out as much as you think is prudent with a die grinder and run the fattest camshaft that you can find and headers. You don't need throttle response or streetability--just lots of horsepower. You don't drive it so it doesn't matter if it isn't pleasant and useful.

2.9 heads are cheap so you can afford to screw some up. You got to have airflow--tons of it. That's what matters. It will sound totally different when it has lots of airflow, too.

Last edited:

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
why not just make it out of aluminum?

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
because it doesn't need to be, the extra weight saved isn't really worth the cost... unless you have a bunch of it laying around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals