• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanna buy a generator

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
So I wanna buy a generator but. I read that a inverter genset is best for sensitive electronics. But if im running a gen set to power my house I don't exactly plan on having internet or watching TV really. So why would I need a special genset? I was looking at one that claimed less than 5% total harmonic distortion on it's output. So can anyone learn me on this? Also I'd like to get a transfer switch too. But not sure which one to buy I'm looking at a 30amp 6 switch unit. I wanna run the furnace, tankless water heater, fridge, and maybe a couple lights.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was under the impression that most generators where DC gens with an inverter for AC. Could be very wrong since I’m not a generator expert. Could be that just the smaller ones are that way.

Either way. If you are looking into a manual transfer switch, look into replacing your main panel with one that has an integrated transfer switch. That way you don’t have to pick and choose what circuits go on the transfer switch. I have a Siemens panel setup this way.

Edit; I have an 8,000 watt gen that will run all my appliances without issue. Fridge, freezer, water heater, and four window AC units. Does about 2hours per gallon, depending on the load, it will adjust rpm based on load.

I haven’t tested running my four electric base board heaters.

In case you are trying to figure out size.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I have a “bare minimum”, 3800 wen generator I bought at lowes on black friday. Just want to run furnace blower in winter or fridge/freezer in summer during a possible power outage . Haven’t needed it yet, I start it and run it once a month & let it run for 10-15 min. Not a ideal setup but good enough if I need it to stay warm or keep chilled stuff chilled.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
How fancy are the electronics in the appliances you want to run? New fridges are fancier than my old computer.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/rv-generator-wire-into-house.195344/#post-1910412 from a little while ago.
I don't plan on my fridge texting me when we need milk so just a basic fridge freezer don't even want the water in the door. But I will have a decent TV maybe the kid wants to watch a movie when the powers out idk.
I was under the impression that most generators where DC gens with an inverter for AC. Could be very wrong since I’m not a generator expert. Could be that just the smaller ones are that way.

Either way. If you are looking into a manual transfer switch, look into replacing your main panel with one that has an integrated transfer switch. That way you don’t have to pick and choose what circuits go on the transfer switch. I have a Siemens panel setup this way.

Edit; I have an 8,000 watt gen that will run all my appliances without issue. Fridge, freezer, water heater, and four window AC units. Does about 2hours per gallon, depending on the load, it will adjust rpm based on load.

I haven’t tested running my four electric base board heaters.

In case you are trying to figure out size.
if I change the box it's gonna cost an arm and a leg while the house is currently down to bare sticks I only have so much $$. It's looking like manual switch for me I'd love an auto unit that started the genset automatically but man you wanna talk $$$$

Is yours a 8000watt peak or running output?.

A full list of what to run is.
Furnace
Wood stove blower fan
Fridge
Chest freezer
Well pump
And one kitchen light.

Eventually I'd like a small solar setup for the more short term power loss situations. A freezer stays fine for awhile just don't open it ya know. Small solar bank to power the wood stove blower and a couple lights.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
From what I've read about generators the inverter ones make A/C power then convert to D/C then back to A/C like a scrubber ya know. All the other ones just make A/C power. And the generator head makes tiny voltage spikes the ride those main some waves cause small variations in power. It's hard on micro processers I guess. My house is gonna be low tech. But new ya know what I mean. Just basic easy to maintain the fanciest thing in there is my water heater lol.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I really want a pto gen for a tractor...

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
I really want a pto gen for a tractor...
I'd like a tractor to put a pto Genset on lol. What's the limitations on a pto Genset? They output alot moar?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd like a tractor to put a pto Genset on lol. What's the limitations on a pto Genset? They output alot moar?
They are big enough to run a furnace or whatever.

And I really like that rather than fuss over a generator to keep it ready I have like four tractors ready willing and able to plug in and go.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't plan on my fridge texting me when we need milk so just a basic fridge freezer don't even want the water in the door. But I will have a decent TV maybe the kid wants to watch a movie when the powers out idk.

if I change the box it's gonna cost an arm and a leg while the house is currently down to bare sticks I only have so much $$. It's looking like manual switch for me I'd love an auto unit that started the genset automatically but man you wanna talk $$$$

A full list of what to run is.
Furnace
Wood stove blower fan
Fridge
Chest freezer
Well pump
And one kitchen light.

Eventually I'd like a small solar setup for the more short term power loss situations. A freezer stays fine for awhile just don't open it ya know. Small solar bank to power the wood stove blower and a couple lights.
From what I've read a well pump can have a serious inrush current. Need someone more knowledgeable than me....
@ericbphoto
@snoranger
@RonD

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A lot of it boils down to what are you going to use to power the generator ? Gasoline, diesel, natural gas, or propane, are all the options I have seen. If I had a choice I would pick a diesel genset, because of fuel storage issues, Diesel gensets can usually be found cheap at supermarket auctions. You can usually pick up the transfer switch cheap too.

The furnace followed by the refrigerator are going to be the power hogs. 15-30 amps for the first one, depending on what it actually is, and then 15 amps with a spike as high as maybe 18 amps on the refrig to get it going. Sort of like trying to run an air compressor, getting it going can take the full rated amp rating and then some. If you have a combined HVAC system then it probably runs on 240v 30 amps and the outside fan and inside blower can take 15 amps each on start up.

If your furnace is 240v then you need a genset or inverter that can deliver 240v 30 amps, you might be able to power directly from your outside shut off switch, BUT, I would make sure it was up to code and had the proper cut offs so you do not fry a linesman or yourself.

For my refrig inverter to run off my truck, I had to go with 2200 something surge and 1800 watts running, with the vehicle running. If running an inverter just off a battery bank, it would require (4) 72 AH (650 CCA deep cycle) batteries. So, if going solar then it has to be a meager load. For power failures when I lived in NH, the pellet stove used a single large marine battery to run the stove and it lasted a while.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i got a 12k generator from tractor supply that runs on propane or gas for my little house. i got it way over powered so i can run the travel trailer and my shed at the same time, also.

but, until i get a transfer switch set up, it just is from the shed and rv with an extension cord for the fridge in the house. my truck, surprisingly runs the traveler trailer (minus the ac) so it must not take much to run? maybe it would do the ac too, i never tried that but i don't know what the plug in the bed of the truck is rated at

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

8000W running, 10,000W peak.

I forgot to mention that I have also run the well pump and sump at the same time.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
From what I've read a well pump can have a serious inrush current. Need someone more knowledgeable than me....
@ericbphoto
@snoranger
@RonD
An electric motor does have a higher starting (inrush) current. When planning circuit breaker and wire size, use the motors full load amp rating (FLA) X 125%. Inrush currentbis momentary, often much less than a second. So, a motor that is rated for 12amps at full load needs a breaker and suitable wiring for 15amps. Well pumps will vary in motor size depending on the well and their pumping capacity in gallons per hour. A submersible pump 250ft down in a well will be electrically bigger than a shallow well pump sitting on the surface.

Some of the biggest household electricity users are;
Electric range
Electric water heater
HVAC system, especially if emergency heat strips are used
Electric clothes dryer
Possibly well pump
Heated jacuzzi
Electric heaters such as baseboard heaters, because there will often be a bunch of them

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think the best solution is to buy a new F-150 PowerBoost with the 7.2kW generator. You can tell the wife you got a new generator, and have a great new truck as a bonus,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals