• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Walmart oil supertech...

Irokranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
The only thing I have to say about Super Tech oil is the price. Comparing it to other oils of the same chemical make up, it's a little cheaper. Oil is oil, synthetic oil is synthetic oil. The molecules in these oils are basically the same, just a different size and shape. It's the additives that make the difference in any oil. Most of the general public doesn't understand what these additives are or where they need to be used. Without these additives, there wouldn't be a superior oil. Producers of oil lubricants have to meet standard guidelines for the type of lubricant they are producing. Most people that buy oil for automotive and other uses learn by trial and error or word of mouth what oil works best for them. Very few people read what additives are in the oil, and very few of those people know what the additives are or what they do. Oil doesn't really wear out. It either gets dirt mixed in with it or gets destroyed by heat. Temperatures have a great effect on oils. Cold can slow the ability to provide enough lubrication to moving parts and heat can scatter the oil, again not enough lubricant. Synthetic oils has a advantage over regular oils. Their molecules are a different shape and are not easily forced out of the microscopic grooves of the moving parts. Additives in these oils change the way oils behave. Without getting into high-tech lingo, there can be detergents, acid balancing chemicals, chemicals to let the oil flow more freely and other compounds to counter react the environment the oil is in.

The automotive industry and other mechanical industries have recommended lubricants for their equipment for a reason. Cheaper lubricants may not have the additives to counter react a environmental condition their equipment produces. This doesn't say that there isn't a better lubricant. It just says the lubricant they recommended has the correct properties needed to keep their equipment in good running condition.

In short, people want maximum lubrication for a longer period of time at the least amount of money. Super Tech is a good lubricant and meets or exceeds most manufactures recommendations. Common sense is my recommendation. Change oil and filter as recommended by the manufacture under normal conditions and more often if the conditions are exceeded

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I use it......its cheap

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I use it too, no problems yet.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i use that napa crap... wich is better in a high mileage vechial in the desert? 10w30 5w40? or ???

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
I enjoy changing my oil every 20k or so.

Just sayin.

oil is not just oil when you talk about certain brands.

Basic oil... is pretty much all the same.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmmm

i use that napa crap... wich is better in a high mileage vechial in the desert? 10w30 5w40? or ???
The engine does NOT know it is in the desert! With the proper thermostat the engine runs very near the normal temperature almost anywhere..

I use whatever is on sale at the changing joint that I'm at on that day! Sometimes it is WallyWorld and sometimes it is JiffyLube or whatever..
I never have oil problems either..
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Supertech is Quaker. Just sayin. I work at Walmart and thats what it is.

In case anyone was curious. Don't recall who makes the supertech filters. I believe they're Honeywell just like FRAM but don't quote me....

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

In case anyone was curious. Don't recall who makes the supertech filters. I believe they're Honeywell just like FRAM but don't quote me....
It's not necessarily Quaker State. There are 3 different suppliers for Supertech. In your part of the country, it may be Quaker, in other parts of the country it could be different supplier.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
What is it in your neck of the woods? When you scan it with a handheld scanner, it's Quaker for us.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Some (not sure about all) are made by Champion and are actually very high end filters. The 7317 is one of the better filters on the market for the motorcycles it fits. Great choice at $3 or so.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I read a bunch of stuff about super tech having a certain additive that made it great for engine break-in and cant find that artical for the life of me. I remember when I raced alot and ran Valvoline racing oil ($), I noticed on the jug it said it came from Ashland oil company so I looked at a jug of cheapo napa oil and it said it too came from Ashland oil co.:dunno:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I read a bunch of stuff about super tech having a certain additive that made it great for engine break-in and cant find that artical for the life of me. I remember when I raced alot and ran Valvoline racing oil ($), I noticed on the jug it said it came from Ashland oil company so I looked at a jug of cheapo napa oil and it said it too came from Ashland oil co.:dunno:
It's well known that all Napa oils are made form Ashland, which is the company that owns Valvoline. Napa oils are ALMOST identical to the Valvoline stuff, just slightly fewer additives.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What is it in your neck of the woods? When you scan it with a handheld scanner, it's Quaker for us.
I don't know who makes it around here, I just know there are different suppliers who ship it to different parts of the country.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ha!

This thread should help educate the readers to the fact that OIL IS JUST OIL! Regardless of the brand name on the can, the oil in it came from the same well as most other oils on the shelf...
In different parts of the country the oil comes from the same canner as all other oils available to that part of the country.
I well remember when Pennzoil and Quaker State were always shipped from the north, and had Yankee oil in the cans. But today that same oil comes from California and Texas wells!
So, over time, we have been treated to oils that we might not have wanted in our engine. But it does prove that oil is just oil.
After refining, it doesn't matter which oil one uses... they are all the same, cept maybe, for the additives.
BUT there are no secrets in additives either! So that makes all oil just about equal!
SO, I use the cheapest I can get and run it as long as possible.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
This thread should help educate the readers to the fact that OIL IS JUST OIL! Regardless of the brand name on the can, the oil in it came from the same well as most other oils on the shelf...
In different parts of the country the oil comes from the same canner as all other oils available to that part of the country.
I well remember when Pennzoil and Quaker State were always shipped from the north, and had Yankee oil in the cans. But today that same oil comes from California and Texas wells!
So, over time, we have been treated to oils that we might not have wanted in our engine. But it does prove that oil is just oil.
After refining, it doesn't matter which oil one uses... they are all the same, cept maybe, for the additives.
BUT there are no secrets in additives either! So that makes all oil just about equal!
SO, I use the cheapest I can get and run it as long as possible.

Find a big rig and do the "pack of cigarettes" test with different brands of oils. They may all start equal but some are more equal than others.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals