• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

W-H-I-C-H fuel pump?!?

Trevorrudai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey all I've been coming here for answers to my 2.9 questions for quite some time and just today finally made an acct! Anyways, I am nearly 100% confident in the fact that I have a weak fuel pump causing my problems, however I don't have a test gauge and therefore I don't have any knowledge if there is any other way to determine which of my fuel pumps may be the culprit? Is that going to be the only way to determine which one it might be?! TIA!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Symptoms of lower fuel pressure would be losing power at highway speeds or going up hills, situations that have highest fuel demands for the computer/engine
And Lean codes would come up because of this

But dirty fuel filter would also cause similar symptoms
And Fuel Pressure regulator(FPR) on the engine can also cause this lower pressure

Fuel pressure gauge is basically the same as a tire pressure gauge, same fitting, schrader valve
Should run 30-35psi with engine running, 40-45 with Vacuum line on FPR unplugged

look here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

In 1986 your OBD connector should be on passenger side of engine bay near firewall
Looks like second drawing down in above link

Fuel pump slot is labelled in that drawing
If you put a GROUNDED wire in that slot the fuel pump will run full time when key is on, instead of just for 2 seconds
Doesn't hurt anything

You can then unhook the fuel line coming from the gas tank at the high pressure pump(in the frame rail)
Put a container under it and turn on the key, run it for 30 seconds to see how much fuel comes out
Fuel pumps are rated in GPH(gallons per hour), well newer ones are rated in Liters per hour(LPH), lol

Last edited:

Trevorrudai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey Ron, unfortunately the owner before me managed to remove/break/lose the metal conductors inside the fuse box that my OBD fuse goes into for bridging power. So, no OBD codes for me ever at any point. However the first suggestion should work fine as long as I do not have to drop my fuel tank. I am removing the bed for access instead. Why? Again, the moronic owner before me WELDED the fuel tank skid plate/protector.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You want to slide back or tilt up the bed on Rangers to access fuel tank in any case, dropping the tank is OK IF.......you have a lift and the transmission jack, like in a shop setting
They are way to hard to reinstall while laying on your back while trying to hook back up the hoses and wires

Trevorrudai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay so I'm here ready to do my pressure test however Ford as we all know makes these quick connects that I simply cannot find any sort of adapter that will hook up to my quarter inch fuel pressure tester

Trevorrudai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I disconnected the fuel line behind the inline fuel filter that way I can get a accurate reading on exactly how much pressure the fuel pump from the tank is sending

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should be 6-9psi

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals