• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

VW power steering

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
OK, the VW power steering started giving troubles yesterday. Here are the symptoms:

Poor power assist -- it comes and goes. Strength seems to vary from "OK" to "absent." There is nothing in between.

It seems to "go" more often when turning left than when turning right, but that's an easy one to get fooled by.

When it "goes", it is accompanied by a faint hissing sound. It can be heard in the front seats over road noise, but NOT over any accessories (e.g., fan blower). It doesn't sound at all like belt squeal. It seems to be coming from right in front of the driver.

I replaced the drivebelts (all three) yesterday because they looked awful and the PS one had some glazing on it. It made a difference in that the power assist dropped out less often.

Fluid is full and is not leaking. The pump itself is not making any noises audible under the hood while the driver is attempting to turn the wheels.

The fact that the drivebelt makes any difference at all suggests to me that the problem is associated with the pump somehow. But the sound is clearly coming from elsewhere (it's gotta be the rack as that and part of the hoses are all that is in front of the driver). And the pump doesn't know which way the wheels are turning. And the only thing I can figure out from the hiss is an internal leak past the rack piston seal. But I don't see how that can be intermittent or responsive to a belt replacement.

As the pump and rack go for about $200 each remanufactured, I'd rather not just replace them out of hand (I would have on the Exploder if there were any doubt, but those are several times cheaper).

I'm assuming it's not mechanical binding because it feels JUST like manual steering when it's off -- it's quite a bit harder to turn at low speed than when moving, especially in parking lots.

I'd be interested in some ideas on how I can narrow this problem down. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I've not heard of this problem with the vw's but gm had a problem that had identical symptoms with their steering racks in the 80's. The problem was actually caused by leaking seals in the valve that controls the boost, and was an integral part of the rack. gm changed hundreds for no charge even though there was not a recall. might be worth asking your vw dealer if there is a problem with steering racks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals