• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

vss and wipers

Reno380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I hope this is the correct spot to post this question, apologies if not...... I have a 2000 Ford Ranger xlt super 2 door cab sport with 4.0L V6 and Automatic transmission. The other day I noticed the 12v power outlet was not working so I checked my fuses and sure enough blown fuse, replaced fuse and seemed normal, a half hour later I went to leave to go fishing and it was light rain out so I went to turn on my wipers, nothing, I check fuses again, all ok, I use my power probeII and check for ground and power at plug, turn switch to high and check, nothing, apply 12v, wipers move a little try 12v again wipers do full sweep, motor good. start to think mfs (multi function switch) went bad, rain stopped so head out, notice speedometer not working, go back home, pull codes (cel) but dtc P0300, P0301,P0113, P0455, P0203. I also noticed my interior light is not illuminating. I am leaning towards gem, truck has semi rough idle intermittenly but while driving has full power, no chug at all, runs smooth, idle hardly drops 100 to 200 rpm at idle with ac on and rough idle happens for 2 or 3 seconds.
Where should I start? replace gem? short\open wire? Key ignition? Please help.

Reno380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone else have this problem before?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Reminds me of a problem I had with my 96 except I don't remember if the speedo worked or not.
It was years and years ago but what I remember was that it drove fine but things like the AC, fan and signals (maybe) didn't work.
It was the key switch, if you rocked it around the right way all of it would come back to life.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
P0300 is a misfire code
p0301 is another misfire at the front of engine
p0113 is for the intake air temp so probably the IAC or MAF sensor are bad or need cleaned
p0455 is an evap leak code. Mine has this code and its either a bad purge canister/valve or a bad filler neck or bad gas cap
p0203 is a cylinder 3 injector circuit malfunction.

I would start with the basics like plugs and wires, clean the throttle body and MAF sensor, replace the IAC with a Motorcraft one, and then check the filler neck and purge canister. NONE of these issues will affect the wipers however so I would assume the multi-function switch is going bad as these have a tendency to go bad quite a bit. Mine won't turn off the turn signals when turning so you have to manually turn off the blinkers or they will stay on. I don't even realize any more, I just kinda keep my fingers sticking out when making a turn and they catch the switch to turn them off bc my cheap ass don't wanna spend the $25 for a new one lol.

Reno380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
91stranger, those were the codes in memory, truck runs smooth, has hiccups at idle, possibly plugs or iac, maybe both, just bought this truck. I'm starting to lean towards the GEM box behind/beside the radio. Was hoping someone had same issues and fixed them so I can learn, looks like I possibly will be passing something on, if the GEM box is actually the problem, only other possibility is ignition switch I guess. Thanks for the input, I will check the multi function switch too.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Weird mix of problems. Not sure the gem could cause all that. I would consider a loose ground connection somewhere. How clean and tight are your battery connections?

Reno380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
They seem tight, guess would not hurt to clean inspect and tighten them. I believe that the dtc codes were old and stored, cel was never on. I know wipers seemed to have had a bad motor going out, but I tested it with my power probe 2 and worked fine a day later speedo and interior lights are out. I looked up this GEM box, apparently it controls ground to various things. But I will check the grounds on it, battery, body, engine and frame

Reno380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, update, was not gem, fuse 26 was missing. Only had this truck a week then went to body shop after being hit, just got it back. Misfire was po changed spark plug wires only, #2 on passenger side fell off spark plug when I touched it, replaced and gapped all 6 plugs now runs and idles even better, but I think the iac still needs to be replaced, we will see.

Thanks everyone for the help! I appreciate it more than you know, and I hope my bad luck streak is done! lol!

-=Reno=-

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi guys,
I post here cause I got similar problems. Ford Ranger 1995 2.3L
My radio died so I removed it yesterday, I wanted to plug in an other aftermarket radio I had at home, and to try if it start, I turned the key on "ON". Again an again, and at the end I forgot to turn back the key on "OFF" position, so I let my battery die during the night :idiot:

Iv'e charged my battery this morning, I tried my wipers and they doesn't work, and the interior light too. All the rest works correctly, turning signals, lights etc.
I tried to turn on the windshield washer system, and the pump doesn't even made a little noise or anything.

I've checked the fuse, they are good, so I think about one of the two relay in the motor fuse box. How to check that? Any others things to check?

Thanks in advance :)

Reno380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Double check fuse #26. I thought I had checked all the correct fuses too, when I doubled checked I found #26 missing, this fuse controls interior light, wipers/wash and speedometer. If you still test the relays just pull the suspect relay and swap with similar relay beside it, still not working then will be a long write up as a multimeter will be needed to test for opens, shorts, voltage, etc...

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Fuse 26 is ok, my speedometer work and interior light too. I tried to swap both relay but nothing..

Reno380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Either relay, multi function switch or the wiper motor. Does the windshield wash work? That should be separated from wiper relay, and if works may eliminate mf switch which would lead to the motor.

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've checked my fuses again, the problem was the #20 which is for the Radio. So it's good for the wipers and windshield wash. Now I got an other problem ahah Can't plug my radio, it's pluged the good way but it doesn't work.. There's a lot of electrical work to do on this big boy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals