• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

VIN# plate missing?

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
I drive 1994 Ford Ranger that I bought with cash as is where is in a gas station parking lot 30 miles from my home I looked it over enough to decide it was a piece of junk that was going to need a lot of work and in that "thorough" inspection I forgot one key part, I noticed while inspecting a crack in my windshield today, 6 months after the purchase, that the VIN# plate on my dashboard is not there. The dashboard doesn't look like its ever been removed (I've been down far enough to know) and there's no damage so I think it was removed intentionally. Anyway I have the VIN# that's on the drivers side door and I'm fairly certain(about 70%) it's for this truck, I figured I should go about getting a new one since technically I'm in violation of the law right now. I'm going to go to the DMV and ask about it if I need too, but to avoid that if at all possible I'd like to know if any of you have had to replace the VIN plate on your vehicles and what kind of a pain in the butt bureaucracy you had to deal with if any.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The bureaucratic issues you have to deal with will vary by state and country. Some places, like PA, will issue you a new VIN, especially if you don't have another VIN tag present on the vehicle.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is the VIN number the same on the door as on the registration or the tittle that maybe you got when you bought the truck. Or have you not registered it yet in your name.

I hope you are not getting in over your head and dealing with a stolen truck. That would jut suck

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have no idea of the red tape involved but unless it is just salvage parts for you I could see issues in not getting it resolved.

The question in my mind would be why is it missing?

Like was the vehicle stolen and someone thought that was the only spot to remove the identifier?

Or conversely I would wonder if a check will show a vehicle on the road with that VIN. I've heard of people getting a vehicle that is more or less scrap but matches the characteristics of a stolen vehicle and transferring the VIN tag over to conceal the history of the stolen vehicle. On the other hand it is a 20 year old Ranger...so it isn't exactly like they are in demand for someone to go thru all that effort.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The VIN on the door is the same one it was registered to the PO on and the same one that is on my registration and insurance

I don't think I'm dealing with a stolen vehicle at least not a vehicle stolen in this century, I ran the VIN# before I bought it and the only issue was a false odometer read at around 15,000 miles in 1994. It does make me a little concerned because someone replaced the ignition and door locks so this is not the same key that came with the vehicle. I have thought about contacting the PO because I remember reading about a rumor where people thought car thieves could write down your VIN and get a key made at a dealership without proof of ownership and maybe he might have believed it and removed the VIN, but thats a long shot considering I'm the 5th owner, at this point it could be anything. Guess I'll wait in line at the DMV tomorrow...

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For the curious souls in the audience, please let us know what you find out, and also which state you are dealing with! (as noted above, varies place to place - at least if you give us new info we'll know which state it is applicable in!

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I am dealing with the Iowa bureaucracy.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Okay turns out my VIN problem is an idiot error. My VIN plate is there, I didn't see it because it blended into the dash... :shok: I am prepared for the full ridicule of the internet, let me hear it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As Jesus said "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone........" John 8:7

We have all been there and all done similar, I oiled the brakes on my first car because they were squeaking...............................I sure can't pick up a stone

Last edited:

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad you got it sorted out. I was going to suggest that you go out late at night and shine a bright LED flashlight on the plate. That old and they can fade and blend in pretty good to the plate. Used to run into that all the time at the tow yard with old vehicles. But as long as you had the door and the registration the same number there would be no question as it's a lot easier to switch a door than pull the plate of the dash. I changed my door locks on purpose just for the fact I could hide a key and if they found it it would only unlock the door. Also its been about 10 years since a dealer could "lookup" our key codes.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
lol at least it resolved itself without much issue and strain. And you got to give us a bit of a chuckle as well.

Glad it was an easy solution.

And thanks for not being ashamed of being human :) I can see myself doing something like that lol

AJ

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Okay turns out my VIN problem is an idiot error. My VIN plate is there, I didn't see it because it blended into the dash... :shok: I am prepared for the full ridicule of the internet, let me hear it.

so there is really an Idiot Out Wandering Around:D:D:icon_rofl: jk

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
so there is really an Idiot Out Wandering Around:D:D:icon_rofl: jk
Yes there is, and I Owe the World an Apology for that. I've also heard Indigenous Oscillating Weather Anomalies. At least I saved myself a trip to the DMV :yahoo:, now I can actually worry about actual problems with the truck instead of thinking I might be driving a stolen car :icon_rofl:

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes there is, and I Owe the World an Apology for that. I've also heard Indigenous Oscillating Weather Anomalies. At least I saved myself a trip to the DMV :yahoo:, now I can actually worry about actual problems with the truck instead of thinking I might be driving a stolen car :icon_rofl:
There are times when it feels really good to be wrong, after all. This is one of them. Been there. Good on ya for fessing up - experience is what we learn from our mistakes; knowledge is what we learn from shared experience!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals