• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vibration in Seat and Pedals

Guggenheim99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do not know if this is the correct forums for this post. So I have a vibration in my seat/pedals from about 65-70'ish. I've done the following to try and fix it with none of it working:
Had someone balance them, still vibration. Won't matter in the next test I did
Jacked up the rear and drove at the speeds above without tires, still vibration
Took rear drums off and drove at the speeds above, still vibration
Took the diff apart, no issues found with the bearings in there
New U-Joints in the rear driveshaft, still vibration
Got a junkyard driveshaft, still vibration
Checked the U-Bolts on the axle, all are tight
At a loss for what could be causing this vibration. I did take the whole rear driveshaft off completely and spun it up to those speeds, and no vibration at all. That should rule out engine or trans mounts being an issue. Any suggestions or ideas?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Bent axle shaft maybe.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
When did the vibration start, does it change only with speed or is it affected by throttle pressure, is it primarily something you feel or do you hear the vibration as well, is the truck modified/lifted/lowered? If you feel it in the seat and pedals it's almost definitely from the rear.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Had to do my axle shafts last year. In one the bearing, after 340,000 miles, had worn a groove into the shaft. Wasn't aware of the pick-n-pay place then, paid almost 200 for a replacement at O'really's

Guggenheim99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When did the vibration start, does it change only with speed or is it affected by throttle pressure, is it primarily something you feel or do you hear the vibration as well, is the truck modified/lifted/lowered? If you feel it in the seat and pedals it's almost definitely from the rear.
It started about a year ago. I don't drive at those speeds alot, so I didn't try and fix it as soon as it happened. No affected by throttle pressure. Happens from 65-75 regardless if I am coasting, cruising, or WOT. I can definitely feel it in my seat and pedals. Truck is stock.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If it vibrates while on jack stands you can have someone hold it at a problem speed and CAREFULLY feel around to narrow down the search- touch the pinion end of the rear end and the extension housing to see if it's in the front or rear of the drivetrain. If it developed on it;s own I'd lean toward something like a u joint freezing up or wearing out(but you said you changed those) or a balance weight coming off the driveshaft. If you ever bottomed it out it's worth checking driveshaft runout front, center, and rear, and reindexing the companion flange to the pinion flange. Using a junk yard shaft may not prove anything for you. Another thought- check the transmission mount, if it's broken a normal amount of vibration can get exaggerated.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would be looking for a damaged pinion yoke/flange at the axle (and also at the t-case flange if 4WD... if 2WD, maybe a bent transmission output shaft). Given the results of your process of elimination, these seem like the only possibilities left.

(a bent axle shaft I don't think has enough mass to cause a vibration if there's no wheel & tire attached to it)

Since this seems most likely a driveline or transmission issue, I'll move your post to there. If it ends up being an axle issue, then it can go there (certainly it is not a steering issue though)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals