• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vibration 50-60 mph in 2wd only

dziubak

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I recently developed a small vibration that seems to be coming from the front left wheel area when I get up to 50-60 mph. This is on a 2000 4x4, auto 4.0. It goes away when I put it into 4wd but as soon as I take it out, it comes back. I just replaced the front brake pads and rotors hoping that it would help (I knew it wouldn’t but they needed replaced anyway) but it didn’t. While I was in there, I looked at the front hub/bearing and everything seemed pretty tight. The axles look good too. If I’m going 50-60 and put it in neutral, the vibration stays but if it’s in neutral and I put it in 4wd, it goes away. The entire front end was replaced about 10-15000 miles ago. I don’t think it’s a front end issue. I’m stumped on what I want to try next. Anyone have any suggestions?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Rotate the tires front to rear and see what happens.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Rotate the tires and see if the vibration moves. If so then you've found your problem.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sometimes my '87 4x4 Ranger does something similar after shifting back into 2wd. For some reason it doesn't come completely out of 4wd (automatic hubs?), and I have to back up a little for it to remedy the situation. The last time it happened I drove 20 miles with the vibration before I remembered the reverse trick. Hopefully that's all that's wrong with yours.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
My vibration was in the same mph range and turned out to be my driveshaft, although this may not be your case.

dziubak

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It’s been a while but I’m still at it. I rotated the tires and it seemed the vibration followed from the front to the back. It was much better up front but seemed like there was still some there from the back. I was getting ready to replace the “bad” tire when it snowed. I have been driving around in 4wd and noticed the vibration went away all together. To test it, I put it back in 2wd while driving down the road and as soon as the front axle popped out and went back into 2wd, the vibration came back. I put it back in 4wd and it went away. When I let off the gas in 4wd, the vibration will sometimes be there and sometimes not and it goes away as soon as I give it throttle. Any thoughts?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I don't think these trucks are meant to be driven in 4wd on pavement, or that fast...unless in snow I guess. Anyways that's a real head scratcher. Maybe have someone drive it while you sit shotgun to get more perspective.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It’s been a while but I’m still at it. I rotated the tires and it seemed the vibration followed from the front to the back. It was much better up front but seemed like there was still some there from the back. I was getting ready to replace the “bad” tire when it snowed. I have been driving around in 4wd and noticed the vibration went away all together. To test it, I put it back in 2wd while driving down the road and as soon as the front axle popped out and went back into 2wd, the vibration came back. I put it back in 4wd and it went away. When I let off the gas in 4wd, the vibration will sometimes be there and sometimes not and it goes away as soon as I give it throttle. Any thoughts?
I would stay on your original diagnosis and get the rear tires checked for being out of round and or out of balance. If you jack up the rear of the truck and turn the tires by hand, you may see a dip in the tire, a sign one of the belts has broken inside the tire.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Check your wheel bearings.

In 4wd there is torque going to the front wheels, that will "tighten" everything up and take the slop out of the loose bearing.

In 2wd that torque is gone so it allows the looseness of the bearing to become more apparent. This is also why sometimes you feel it letting off the throttle in 4wd.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Likely bearings in diff and CV joint slop.

Jack it up....rock the tire and hold the inner CV base.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals