• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Veterans Day

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Can't even do that this year. Relegated to watching some old war flicks on TV and watching History Channel.
2 of the best are on, Sgt. York and Where Eagles Dare !
Quick question - I'm watching Where Eagles Dare right now for the first time. The actor the British use to impersonate a general who is really supposed to be a Corporal... He could be the grandfather of a Corporal. The real life actor was 59 when the movie came out. What were the writers thinking?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was in the Marine Corps for 10 years. I never say I served. I grew up a military brat. In 3rd grade I was in 3 school in 2 countries and in 2 states. I landed in a small town with no prospects. My mom always told me I was out when I turned 18. There was no talk of college. I have my enlistment papers, and I show them to my kids. Two days after my 17th birthday I enlisted in the Marine Corps. November 6, 1986. I was definitely not going off to serve.

I don't know what my kids think, I was long out of the service when the first of five was born. I led marines in combat as a corporal and was a platoon sergeant when I was lured out by my wife. It was never service. Not to my country. More like football in school. Loyalty to the team amongst ourselves. We felt like mercenaries, or legionnaires.

I have a lot of grim stories, but I don't think of them. It doesn't come up. I have a 10 year-old schooling from home because of covid and we are learning algebra. I have a college kid whose car is broken and trying to get it home. And 4 kids between with all of their current-day problems.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Quick question - I'm watching Where Eagles Dare right now for the first time. The actor the British use to impersonate a general who is really supposed to be a Corporal... He could be the grandfather of a Corporal. The real life actor was 59 when the movie came out. What were the writers thinking?
Theoretically, it's possible. Enlistment age max at the time was 37. But if you were already in the service, and were over that age, you remained. Possible for an enlisted man to have been in the Army and be around 60 years old. But to only be, or remain a Cpl. would have been rare. Could have been a clerk, cook, driver, ect.
Lot of older Sgt and Master Sgt in service at the time as they liked being that rank...lot of responsibility without the worry of being an ofc.
Also, back then, it took 5-7 support personal, who were enlisted, to support one fighting soldier. If you were in at the outset of WW ll, you stayed in.
Many, because of their patriotism, lied about their age, both younger and older, so they could enlist. Kids as young as 14 tried, and I'm sure that many grandfathers, who looked younger than they were, enlisted.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I was in the Marine Corps for 10 years. I never say I served. I grew up a military brat. In 3rd grade I was in 3 school in 2 countries and in 2 states. I landed in a small town with no prospects. My mom always told me I was out when I turned 18. There was no talk of college. I have my enlistment papers, and I show them to my kids. Two days after my 17th birthday I enlisted in the Marine Corps. November 6, 1986. I was definitely not going off to serve.

I don't know what my kids think, I was long out of the service when the first of five was born. I led marines in combat as a corporal and was a platoon sergeant when I was lured out by my wife. It was never service. Not to my country. More like football in school. Loyalty to the team amongst ourselves. We felt like mercenaries, or legionnaires.

I have a lot of grim stories, but I don't think of them. It doesn't come up. I have a 10 year-old schooling from home because of covid and we are learning algebra. I have a college kid whose car is broken and trying to get it home. And 4 kids between with all of their current-day problems.
Whether you went into the military because you wanted to, had to forced to, or drafted, whether you liked or disliked your time, you are still a Vet.
Remember or don't, talk about it or don't, your choice. But you are still a Vet.
Whether you feel you contributed or not, made a difference or not, you are still a Vet.
Proud of your service, or disgusted about it, you are still a Vet.
Not knowing you at all, we still have something in common, and you would be welcome in my home, 24/7.
Too all of us others who served, you are still a Vet. :icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals