• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Very squeaky stock suspension

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
On my 97 ranger with a 2.3L the truck sqeaks so much. Just getting in the truck it squeaks real bad. Every single bump i hit is sounds like i have a bed full of scrap scratching together. When i got my oil changed they were supposed to grease the truck, I'm not sure if they did. If I grease the whole truck do u thing that could take care of my problem. Or does anybody else have a potental diagnoses to my problem. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

RogueRanger316

Reaction score
On a messed up gravel road in Central Mississippi
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I had the same problem and found out that my ball joints were shot and just replaced them yesterday. I'm not for sure with twin I-beam trucks, but it does sound like joints/bushings may be dried out. Wouldn't hurt to try to grease the truck and inspect your suspension components and u-joints as well. Just my .0002 cents worth.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I had the same problem and found out that my ball joints were shot and just replaced them yesterday. I'm not for sure with twin I-beam trucks, but it does sound like joints/bushings may be dried out. Wouldn't hurt to try to grease the truck and inspect your suspension components and u-joints as well. Just my .0002 cents worth.
thank you, i will grease it soon, but it seems like the bed suspension squeaks more than the front, but i get squeaking from the front too, i will have to check it, but thanks for your .0002 cents.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
Check your leaf spring bushings too....is the spare tire carrier still under your truck? Check there as well.
the spare tire carrier is still there, it doesnt hold down the tire, so i think im going to have to somehow rig the spare to not move around, i sure hope this will be a cheap fix. I just need to find the time to get in on a left to look it over real good. the bushings in the leafs look ok

jsoluna

Reaction score
I second the leaf spring shackle bushings as well as the radius arm bushings....I've had them both crank on me before - it's super annoying!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
I had the same problem too, on my 94. Same suspension design as yours. Inside the rear driver's side wheel well, you will see a bunch of hoses. There is a little spring that is attached to the frame and supposed to hold one of the hoses in place. It was scraping up and down the frame with every single movement of the truck. I just connected it back to the hose and the problem was solved.

Later, I noticed another squeaking, knocking noise in my front end. I found out my radius arm bushings were worn out. I found there was hardly even a bushing there, almost metal to metal! Anyway, I replaced the bushings and the noise went away and I noticed a lot better ride.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals