• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vent repair to radio bezel

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Maybe this description of a quick repair will help some of you.

On most Rangers the radio bezel has two vents at the top. On my 2011 the vent deflector on the left (driver's) seemed to be broken, and the one on the right was a bit loose. Neither deflector would stay in position.

I found a replacement bezel with the deflectors intact on eBay. The original intent was to replace the whole bezel, so I matched the vintage and color (2WD, silver).

The replacement bezel had a few scratches in the silver paint, nothing I couldn't live with, but the original looked better. Looking over the replacement showed the vent deflector assembly is held in place from the back side of the bezel with 8 plastic clips. That led to a new plan, which was just to replace the deflector assembly and keep the original bezel.

I removed the two screws under the radio and popped out the original bezel. The next step was to disconnect the lighter on the driver's side and the passenger's airbag light on the passenger's side. It turned out that replacing the whole bezel was more involved than expected, because the radio is latched to the bezel and not to the dash structure behind the bezel. That made the decision to keep the original and swap the deflector assembly easy. That saved popping loose the radio.

The original deflector assembly popped right out after unlatching the upper 4 tabs, and the replacement assembly went in easily. Then I reconnected the electrical devices and fastened the bezel. A quick check showed everything worked.

Turned out the old deflector wasn't broken. Someone had popped loose the driver's deflector and it snapped right back into place, but it's as loose as the passsnger's. So I still have the original deflector assembly and the replacement bezel as spares. Reusing the old assembly will just require shimming the deflectors to make them stay in adjustment.

This was probably a lot of boring detail, but I hope it might help someone.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
If you took any pictures you could make a "how-to" and submit it.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
That sounds like a TON of work. I know it isn’t, but you really made it sound like it was. You actually made it sound like you put more work into your bezel than I put into mine...

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That sounds like a TON of work. I know it isn’t, but you really made it sound like it was. You actually made it sound like you put more work into your bezel than I put into mine...

View attachment 64596
No, Snoranger, you're right, it all took about 10 minutes. I wanted to give clear and complete directions, so it took longer to read how to than to actually do. :D

Nice work on those gauges! But what did you do with the HVAC output in that spot?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals