• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vehicle speed sensor.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
First off where is it located and what are the symptoms if it fails or begins to fail?

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On a 2000 it should be on top of the rear diff. My Ranger started shifting funny when when my VSS went out, and replacing the sensor fixed the problem.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My speedo quit working completely and the truck wouldn't do more than about 30mph. It was on the top of my rear end housing. It was a pretty quick easy fix.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Ah, sometimes it feels like the truck has more power than it should, it climbs hills easier and shifts better and other times it feels like it could hardly get out of its own way if it needed to. Maybe I will clean it off and see if that clears it up, If not I will replace it whats the average lifespan for them anyway?

TimV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
When mine went out, it tripped an ABS light and MIL. Also lost any reading on the speedometer and odometer. Had no problems otherwise, although I have a manual not an automatic.

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wow out of all the posts its funny that I am having (what I hope is just a VSS) problem and someone else around the same time is having the same prob.. Is your o/d light blinking and shifting hard ? Mine is.. I've heard from other forums and research that it could be just a VSS, which I hope is all mine is.. I feel confident that this should be the only problem and I need to get the part tomorrow.. It is on the OBD2 Vehicles on the top of the rear diff from what I've found on youtube.. I guess on earlier models or by other people that there was an ABS sensor on the rear diff and the VSS was on the tail end of the tranny..

On the new obd2 I guess the VSS is combined with the ABS sensor.. I'm going to get the piece tomorrow and hope that fixes it.. What is leading you to question if the VSS is failing ?

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
No blinking od light just not driving the way it should and im trying to wear down the possiblities of what could be causing it.

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No blinking od light just not driving the way it should and im trying to wear down the possiblities of what could be causing it.
Well I just changed mine with no results but here is some info...

The VSS is on top of the rear diff, held on by one 3/8 inch bolt.. Jack up the ass end until the tires are off the ground and the axle can drop down for access. you should be able to see it right there from a side view looking through your wheel well..

As someone said, it literally takes longer to get the truck jacked up in air then to change the damn thing.. The piece was about $20 after tax at pep boys.

I am off to research more on my issue.. Good luck. :icon_thumby:

PS> forgot to mention but thinks to look for that it is going/gone out is the ABS light blinking and/or your speedo not reading or only reading when you above like 30 MPH as others have said.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals