• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Valve Cover gaskets on 4.0 OHV

e21pilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Back in the day when I drove a 2.8L V6 Ford Capri, it was easy to pull the valve covers to adjust the valve clearances and replace the gaskets.

On my 1992 4.0 OHV Ranger however, things don't seem so easy. The A/C plumbing looks like a problem for the left side cover and the right side cover is hard to see let alone remove.

With over 250K miles on the clock, the valve cover gaskets are leaking badly and need replacing. Wondering if there are any recommended steps on the minimum amount of stuff I need to remove in order to get the covers off and replace the gaskets?

The motor doesn't burn any oil so I'm assuming the valve guides are still OK.

Thanks

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not sure about the 92 models, but on my 99 I can pull valve covers without disconnecting the hoses. Heck we pulled the engine without disconnecting any of the AC components, but did remove the heads while still in the truck so it was just pulling the block.

When working on pretty much anything below the intake/valve covers I'll pull the mounting bolts for the AC compressor, and just shift it and the hoses around in the engine bay to get to everything.

IIRC on the right side I pull the upper intake and coil pack (you've got a distributor instead), but I'm usually also pulling the head so it might just be that I'm pulling them anyway. For head removal I also remove the alternator.

If you were going to be removing valve springs, absolutely replace seals. If not burning oil and nothing else wrong, I doubt that I would go through the trouble of replacing valve stem seals.

On other note, I wish I had one of those Capris. Got a perfectly good, low miles 2.8 Liter sitting in the back yard looking for a home. I really want something smaller and lighter than a Ranger to put it in, but a Capri would also fit the bill.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It looks worse than it is but yes you do need to disconnect a few things to remove them.

They are stamp steal so you have to straighten them after you remove them.
They will be deformed at the bolt holes, usually from being over tightened.

Just put on flat piece of steel, vice?, and tap around the hole to flatten it out again.

Use Cork valve cover gaskets, these seal better than rubber long term because they swell as oil penetrates the inside part of gasket.
Cork gaskets can't be reused after a year or so.
Rubber gaskets are used when you know you will be pulling off the valve covers more often, they can be reused but do not seal as well over time with stamped steal valve covers

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94437

this is for a 97, but for the most part it will be the same. your upper intake will be different but the lower and everything else will be the same as your 92. you can as Josh mentioned unbolt the a/c compressor and lay it on its side out of the way. Alternator must come out too.

AJ

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
IIRC on the right side I pull the upper intake and coil pack (you've got a distributor instead),
:icon_confused::icon_confused:

4.0 never had a distributor. It used the same coil pack ignition system from 1990 to 2011, the entire production run of both versions. Even the coil pack itself never changed.

e21pilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the posts and the link.

On the subject of the old Ford Capri, I really miss the old tossable ‘76 Capri II that I had. I often wonder if a 4.0 OHV would have fit under the hood and how the extra torque would have made it really fun to drive. Even with the 2.8 V6 it was a lot of fun.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals