• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement - Getting Ready

Jakepr26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I'm going to replace my valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and spark plug wires on my 2002 Ranger XLT 2.3L, and I just wanted to see if there was anything else I should replace since I'm doing this job (i.e. replace the brake pads because you have to remove them anyways to replace the rotors).

I have a spark plug socket, but will I need any other specialty tools to get this job done correctly?

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
with the top off, now would be a good time to check for wear on the cam followers.
I have about 294,500 on my '05, its about due for its first valve cover gasket.

Perry

Jakepr26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tip.

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I replaced the plugs and wires in my 2008 2.3L about 1.5 years ago and the only thing I needed other than the spark plug socket was an extension. Can't remember the length but it was easier than I thought. I started with cylinder #4 and worked myself forward from there. Make sure you put anti-seize on the spark plugs in case you have to pull them out again.

Jakepr26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for tge reply. The extension necessary is the 6", but adding another 3" helps clear the ratchet for almost 360 on 1-3. This tune up is definitely going to be easier than it was on my same year S10, where the wires had to each fir through a squeezed hole down to the distributor cap on the passenger side of the block where the only access was over the tire. Do any of y'all think I'll need to or should replace the Intake Manifold Gasket since I have to remove the Intake Manifold to replace the Valve Cover Gasket?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If you remove the intake I would replace the gasket on installation. Personally, I consider almost all gaskets as a one use items.

Edit: And I would use Motorcraft or Felpro gaskets. Off brand gaskets have been known to fail prematurely.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals