• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vacuum Vents

rburro2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I recently switched from the vacuum hubs to manual hubs. Now my vents switch to defrost anytime over 2500rpm. I know the vents are vacuum actuated. Was I suppose to do something to the vacuum lines at the hubs when I installed the manual ones?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just plug the vacuum hoses with screw or bolt of the right size.
Or track down the hoses and remove them and plug the source.

The climate control vents are vacuum activated, and that vacuum comes from a Vacuum reservoir in the engine bay, looks like a black plastic ball, passenger side front down low, sometimes under the frame rail.

Same symptom can occur when this reservoir is cracked.
When you accelerate vacuum in the intake manifold drops down, the reservoir keeps vacuum to the climate control high via its check valve, same as power brake booster uses to keep high vacuum at higher engine RPMs.

If PVH system was sharing reservoir then it being "open" now could account for the lower vacuum at climate control while accelerating.

Defrost is the system OFF vent setting, so no or low vacuum = defrost vents

Last edited:

rburro2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you, I will do that as soon s my son decides to stay home long enough with the truck so I can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals