• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vacuum tubing?

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where do you guys get your replacement vacuum tubing? My truck has the plastic lines that connect with rubber connectors and the only tubing I have been able to find locally is 3ft long which isn't enough and I really don't want to put a rubber splice in the middle. The guy at Autozone told me there is no such thing :annoyed: and was shocked when I showed him the 3ft tube on the shelf. NAPA and Orileys was the same situation. Its either 1/4 or 5/32 OD plastic tube. Anyone know where to get it? Any search online I do always comes up with rubber hose. All my lines on my truck are brittle, I'd like to replace them all.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Most parts houses sell the rubber tubing by the foot. As many feet as you want, up to say 50 feet. And that is what most folk use to replace that plastic stuff when it breaks/fails. And they are all brittle after a few years. Most just splice in a piece of rubber to fix it. Super glue will really stick them together.

The plastic stuff was used to make it easier to route the lines. Those stiff lines could be built/formed for where they were placed. I have never heard of a source for those lines except from a wreaking yard.

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so there is no problem switching to a hose? I have an idle problem at the moment, and found multiple leaks in the system. Don't wan't to make my problem worse.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
None that I am aware of. Just make sure you route it so it clear of moving parts and stuff that gets really hot.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the original may be a different size on one end. But, you can figure a way around that.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yea, I've just replaced lines with the rubber tubing you can buy at parts stores by the foot or buy a whole spool. Haven't had any problems with it so far. The rubber caps the parts stores sell for plugging unused vacuum ports are junk though, they crack apart within a year. I bought a pack of assorted vacuum line adapters awhile back too, I use that for when I have to change size of vacuum line in a run.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals