• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vacuum Sucks

jrquint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So my warm engine hesitation /misfire isn't posting codes 21 and 24 anymore. Must have been just an improper test. Now i'm posting code 41 HEGO reads too lean.

First thought O2 sensor as the problems seem to start when going into closed-loop. The previous owner said it was recently replaced tho.

BUUUT... i found 2 unconnected vacuum hoses! One is a solid one coming off the idle air side of the manifold(not the one going to the MAP). It leads over the alternator to near the air box.. and disappears.
The other is a red striped hose coming off the air cleaner diverter i believe.

It doesn't look like these two just mate together tho. Tried it anyway and had NO power and barely idled at any temp.

I found the chart on the truck for vacuum routing, looks like the mate up to AIR CLR BI-MET (bi metallic valve?). Any idea were this is exactly and what it looks like? I cant find anything else with open vacuum fittings near the air box.

Also, I wanted to test the ACT sensor, but I can't find that either... haynes says it should be on the air cleaner or intake... dont see anything with wires going to it.

BTW this is on a '90 ranger 2.9L 4x4

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
hope this helps for the ACT sensor
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=29

not sure...the bi metallic valve might be the little damper to help pull warm air off the exhaust manifold into the intake prior to the air filter. as too what goes where....is there another vacuum canister

jrquint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Figured as much on the ACT sensor. Pretty much looks and specs the same as the ECT. Just have to find were the heck it is :)
Haynes' tiny pic is no help whatsoever. Looks like a wire plugged in amongst a bunch of stuff that could be any were in the engine compartment.

The diverter valve is (i believe) the actual damper that controls the air coming off the exhaust manifold. I'm betting the bi-metal valve actually controls if it is open or not. I remember from my '70 impala something similar , but it was all enclosed in they frypan.

Probly get a better look this afternoon. Havent gotten the air box off yet, has to be under that or the battery.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Figured as much on the ACT sensor. Pretty much looks and specs the same as the ECT. Just have to find were the heck it is :)
Haynes' tiny pic is no help whatsoever. Looks like a wire plugged in amongst a bunch of stuff that could be any were in the engine compartment.
the ACT is located on the passenger side of the upper intake...about mid stream.

nothing else just plug the vacuum lines for now and see if things improve

jrquint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Found'm all. test the ACT and the ECT. Both read resitance identical, but about 20* colder than what it was outside(cold engine)

Found all the vacuuum hoses, plugged'm in. Runs a bit better, But still getting Code 41 on a warm engine. Did a propane test for other vacuum leaks, nothing.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
did you disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour then take for short drive to warm it up good and then retest

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals