Vacuum line question

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
When I first got my truck I found that I had a rotted vacuum line that went from a plastic pill capsule shaped container on the passenger side of the engine on top of the ac box down to a T of vacuum lines. The line has a very small diameter and I didn't have the right size hose so I capped it at the T and went on my merry way. From what reading I've done it sounds like that little line has something to do with climate control on the truck, but I can't figure out specifically what it does. Anyone known specifically what that line does?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 173A8B749AB83C Expires: January 1, 2020

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
If I'm not mistaken, the container is a vacuum reservoir and the T fitting contains a check valve. The reservoir stores vacuum supplied from the engine, which is contained by the check valve, and this vacuum supply is used by the HVAC control lever to position the blend door as the lever is moved.

Dirtman

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
466.63 teaspoons.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
Give me money.
Little clarification. The blend door is controlled via an electric motor, this what adjusts the temp. The vacuum system controls the vent position. i.e switching from floor vent to defrost ect. With the vacuum line disconnected the vent will only blow on defrost.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
Very good! I suspected from the diagrams I'd looked it the line was related to climate control but not sure specifically what. I'll try to rig up a replacement line this weekend. It left about a half inch nub sticking out of the ac box side I need to rig a line around that then narrow it down to something that will fit on the T check valve.