• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vacuum line help please!!

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys...just got the 3.0 back together...wouldnt run...found a huge vacuum leak( a port not being used). Its a 98 distributorless 3.0. On the rear driver side of the upper plenum there are two ports. One on the back that points straight back, and one more on the corner that points toward the booster. Naturally I hooked the booster to this one, but now I can't for the life of me figure out what in the heck hooked to the other one. Any of you guys care to take a look next time you are out?
Thanks so much,
alex.

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
That's the "Everything Else" main vacuum port. There's a right-angle connector (kinda resembles a spark plug wire boot) that points off towards the passenger side, and quickly divides into 5 or more smaller lines.

The EGR driver is one of the first things that branches off, and comes back left, so if you just follow the small line off the top of your EGR, you should find the big rt. angle connector taped to it.

Hope this helps, because this normally helpful forum is REAL "light" on vacuum info... hopefully this means vacuum is seldom a source of trouble.

whiteranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 4.o and 2 of those ports on the vacuum tree(plenum) are just capped off. This is on a /93 btw. After a tour of the local junk yard, it seems they are not all used on any motor. Hope this helps, I am by no means a Pro or Expert but had to find a vacuum problem when my truck started spitting the little rubber caps off occaisionally.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Mine has 2 red vacuum liness coming out of the right angle boot with 2 taped to the outside of it (1 green from the EGR valve and one white, that turns to red, that comes from a module under my ABS module). These lines go over to the passenger side of the motor where 2 lines (1 red and the green one) connect to a module by the coil pack. The other 2 continue under the coil pack, where one disappears (no clue where it ends up, couldn't see or feel it), and the last one run out to the passenger fender well where it couples back to a white vacuum line and disappears into the passenger fenderwell.

Hope this helps.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
... The other 2 continue under the coil pack, where one disappears (no clue where it ends up, couldn't see or feel it),

IIRC, that one sneaks up under your fuel rail, and controls your Fuel Pressure Regulator...

... and the last one run out to the passenger fender well where it couples back to a white vacuum line and disappears into the passenger fenderwell.

That one controls the infamous Pulse Vacuum Hubs when you engage 4WD... actually it just controls the right front hub... the left front has its own branch.

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Perfect description guys...spot on... I feel like an idiot. Id been looking for a rubber hose for hours, and all I had to do was follow the plastic vacuum tubes and sure enough, about 1 inch from the open port, there was the boot, tucked beautifully under the plenum and out of sight.
I owe you guys a ton thanks so much.

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And on this same token, if you guys could be so kind...
Is there any other primary ground to the battery than the odd shaped solid piece of metal coming from the cable negative cable that bolts onto the stud down under the power steering? Or is that just a holding bracket?
It seems like i remembered a strap down there, but didn't find one when i put it all back together

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
And on this same token, if you guys could be so kind...
Is there any other primary ground to the battery than the odd shaped solid piece of metal coming from the cable negative cable that bolts onto the stud down under the power steering? Or is that just a holding bracket?
It seems like i remembered a strap down there, but didn't find one when i put it all back together
You lost me here...could you clarify a little?

There is a J shaped bracket under the power steering pump that holds the negative battery cable (along with a couple of others) loom and it is bolted to a stud...is this what your asking?

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes, if you follow the cable down, it actually is loomed with the positive cable, and under the p/s pump this metal bracket coming from the cables are mounted there. IS this a ground or just a holder? B/c the fuel line has a holder similar about 2 inches away.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I think it is just a holder, but not positive on that.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
skinner, glad to help out... the give and take, that's why this forum RAWKS!! Everyone adds to their knowledge base.

What was the original issue? Did you swap out the whole engine?... or just give me a link to the original thread.

Let us know when you're back on the road... :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals