• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 swap, tcases.

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
Hey all,

I have a 2000 ranger 3.0 4x4 ext cab that the engine recently blew. (which I cant say I i'm too sad about). Anyway, I purchased a 5.0 from a 00 mountaineer with only 90k miles, it includes the entire engine, wiring harnesses, transmission, computer, and other small things. I spent a pretty penny to get the engine and tranny as they are in really good shape. (#grandpa car). any way. I was looking over everything to make sure it was all ready to go for when my engine finally gets here, and I noticed a small snag. AA doesn't make the 5" adapter anymore, which makes things a bit more difficult. I've read over about a million different forums for all the options. and the way I figure it i have about 4.
1. bw4406 with a motorolla pack
2. bw4406M where I have to cut a hole in my floor (not ideal)
3. bw1356 - didnt really see too much info about that option.
4. try to get the awd t case off the mountaineer.

Im leaning heavily to the bw4406 with the motorolla pack, though, I dont want to have to cut my fuel tank size. Im afraid of the driving road noise from putting the manual in there (maybe im wrong). and though I would get to keep my larger gas tank, I would need it if I decided to keep the AWD, plus the added wear and tear on my front suspension. so IDK anymore.
need some other opinions. those options I listed are in order of my preference.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Manual transfer cases are not noisy, unless there is something wrong with them. They rarely go bad and normally you do not know they are even there. Even the shifter is short, so it doesn't get in the way much either.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
This is the link to my build except mine was a 98 model. The article is also in the how to section on this website. Also check out fastpakr's build it is similar to mine.I used a bw4406 manual tcase and loved it. Truck was smooth and quiet. It was my daily for 5 years until I sold it.

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
So, there doesnt seem to be any additional road noise from having a hole for the manual shifter. thats all i'm really worried about. Otherwise, the manual seems like its probably the easiest, and from what I've heard, the most reliable.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So, there doesnt seem to be any additional road noise from having a hole for the manual shifter. thats all i'm really worried about. Otherwise, the manual seems like its probably the easiest, and from what I've heard, the most reliable.
None that i ever notice but i had fllowmaster duals.I cut the hole just big enough for the shifter to function properly. I also went to the junkyard and found a f150 with the shifter and factory boot with hardware. Mine looked factory afterwards.

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
Craig, thanks for the link and the insights. I love the way you got that shifter and boot to look afterward. It's probably what I'll end up doing with in my ranger, I actually have a pick n pull 2 minutes down the stree from my place, so I'll just pick one up there. I'm hoping that the transition goes smoothly.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would go with the 4406 manual shift or 1356, no way I would put a junk electric shift in.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Craig, thanks for the link and the insights. I love the way you got that shifter and boot to look afterward. It's probably what I'll end up doing with in my ranger, I actually have a pick n pull 2 minutes down the stree from my place, so I'll just pick one up there. I'm hoping that the transition goes smoothly.
Thank you. I wanted a factory look for everything .i did all the research and hand mine swapped and on the road in a weekend.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
That aggravating pad that gets in the way under the boot does make some difference in drivetrain noise. As long as you keep it or substitute something for it, it should be quiet.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was fortunate to find a NP205 in the JY for $60 and I'm quite happy with it except that it weighs 130 pounds and is a beast to get up and down. The manual shifter is from the 1978 Ford where I got the TC. Yes getting the shifter situated and keeping the road noise down is an issue. I actually found that replacing all the door and window seals did a lot more for limiting noise in the cab.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Where did you buy door and window seals, @Elutheros ? I am thinking of the same thing.

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
i actually just had to replace the rear seal on my rear window, and I've actually wen't through already and place soundproof soundmats through the entire cab of the truck. so its probably already quieter than it was stock. hahaha, my ranger has been sitting in my driveway for a few months now waiting for the engine swap, and here in WA it rains everyday during the winter... well, I went out a few weeks ago and found my entire interior mildewed and molded to crap, the rear seal was leaking, but this is the seal I used for the window, it worked great to stop the leak! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071H3NWDW?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_67MY7CF125DH73Y0H6RZ

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
Thank you. I wanted a factory look for everything .i did all the research and hand mine swapped and on the road in a weekend.
I noticed that you mentioned in your conversion article, that an F150 front driveshaft should be drop in with a conversion ujoin. what was the ujoint that you are referring to?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was fortunate to find a NP205 in the JY for $60 and I'm quite happy with it except that it weighs 130 pounds and is a beast to get up and down. The manual shifter is from the 1978 Ford where I got the TC. Yes getting the shifter situated and keeping the road noise down is an issue. I actually found that replacing all the door and window seals did a lot more for limiting noise in the cab.
I noticed a lot more vibration, basically with the t-case mount the powertrain can't move much... so the whole truck moves.

I love my 205 and the twin stick is seriously addictive, I know a lot of later model guys run the 4406 though. I had one of those in my last F-150 and had 0 issues with it.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> 4. try to get the awd t case off the mountaineer.

Not even an option for you. They go defective and can cause with the dragging, for the front axle to engage, and it blows out the hubs and diff. Symptom is when you turn the wheel on the Mountaineer at low speed for a corner and it feels like you are locked in 4HI with a locker in the front. Many Mountaineers have swapped in manual transfer cases for this reason.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals