• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v8 swap questions

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The only thing you have to remember is that those are truck transmissions and they wont' shift fast like a T5 or an automatic with a shift kit. Some of the older trans like the NP435 or the T18 or 19 are shifted with a fork, you can convert it to hydraulic easily. The M5ODR2 is almost identical to the M5ODR1 in the ranger and the Ranger's stock clutch line will plug right in.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i found this to find out what trucks has the M50DR1 and 02 trannys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_M5OD_transmission. I think i might have the M50DR1 in my truck right now because i know its a Mistubishi trans and its a 5 speed. Will this trans hold up to a v8 with an adaptor plate or should i get a M50DR2 out of a f150 or bronco? Will my stock hydraulic clutch line work? I think its similar to the ranger's line.

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Correct, the straight 6 and the 302. Reguardless it is the same transmission because they both have the SBF bell pattern.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sounds like an easy swap with the M5ODr2. What is a good t-case to use in combo with it? np205? I have a bw1350 but i dont believe the spline counts are the same.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The NP205 or 208 is good. The 208 is a little of a tight fit but with some very minor trimming on the case and at most 1/4in on the bottom of the frame and it fits well. The 205 fits as is but it is extremely heavy and has a poor 1.96:1 low range, but it is super tough.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
this has probabally been said in other forums but i want to ask. Im just trying to get alot of info for my best option. I heard about converting a T-5 ford trans to hydralic. I may go this route and get the adaptor + external slave.

What t-cases will bolt to the T-5? Would i have to swap in a special tail housing + a 4x4 shifter to make work? Too bad AA doesnt make the adaptor plate anymore.

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
There are a few options. Look for the AA kit, if you can find one. Try to use chevy t5 parts. I don't have any info on that one. Lastly and probably the cheapest. Use a divorced t-case. You can use the stock T5 as is, a tiny driveshaft and the t-case and crossmember. The most common you will find is a Dana 24 which will be fine for a V8. If you really look you can find a NP205 as well.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oh man this t-5 adaptor is really hard to find! Thanks for all the info. Ill prolly run a m50d-r2 or ZF if i cannot find a t-5 adaptor.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Yeah the T5 adapter has been discontinued for a few years now. Sometimes you can get lucky on ebay but sometimes it will cost an arm and a leg too. If you want this thing to shift like a mustang I would use the T5 and a divorced t-case. My ZF shifts like a school bus, I can shift pretty fast if need be but it's a pretty long throw. If you look for a divorced t-case you need to look in the older stuff, like 60's and 70's. There is nothing wrong with using one, judt build a strong crossmember.

Matt

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Off topic a little bit, but did you need to rework the tranny tunnel or body much to fit the ZF under there or did it just fit in kinda tight? I've heard a few different answers and your setup looks to be the closest to mine.

-andrew

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
how does the 4x4 shift linkage work on a divorced case? Is the lever only connected to the case itself?

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your '88 has a mitsu trans the line won't fit the m5od. Mitsu and Mazda are two different companies. The line for an m5od will fit your master cyl and may fit the m5od r2 if it is the right one.
The 4x4 shifter for a divorced transfer can be done a lot of different ways. The one in my pinto uses a bearing mounted in the side of the tunnel. The transfer is a NP205.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
From what I recall all the hydraulic internal slave lines use the same connection. They all have to interchange, my reason being is I'm still using a stock Ranger line (Mitzu FM146) with my ZF. It hooked up fine and the ZF was an option to replace the M5ODR2. I haven't worked on an R2 in a while but from what I remember it is the same deal. There are a few ways to shift a divorced t-case. You can use a cable if you wish or you can adapt the stock linkage to fit. As for my ZF. I really wouldn't want to try it without the 3in body lift. I had to englarge the hole where the shifter is to get a few things in. Even with the body lift the shift tower is still above the tunnel. In the future I'll able to tell you how well it doesn't fit without a BL when I remove mine. I would imagine the whole tunnel would need to be cut and raised to make it fit.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
bought an AOD trans out of a 90' Bronco, makin some progress.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Make sure you get the TV cable adjusted properly before you try and drive it. It'll smoke your tranny in no time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals