• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Raptor Ranger!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't u know the best diesel engine is not a v8? Cummins are an inline 6 and stomp the v8 diesels when setup with an allison trans.
Land Cruiser V8's seem pretty decent, a lot easier to package than a I6 Cummins.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
How about a V8 diesel Bronco?
If I could get a small diesel with the numbers mentioned in the article... I could be happy. I'm old and my need for speed and tons of power has diminished a bit. Not to mention the V8 would most likely be harder to package so serviceability would suffer. Then the weight difference. Also... fuel economy. I'm sure there is a decline with the increase in displacement.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

It will be interesting to see how this plays out since the Coyote is physically huge and the Ranger's engine bay is rumored to not fit anything but an inline.
That article links to another article that states:

"Ford’s toughest ute will finally get the engine it deserves thanks to clever Aussie engineering​
Ford is secretly readying a high performance Ranger super ute complete with V8 power.​
The brand that sells more 4x4 utes than any other is gearing up to shift the goalposts of load lugging performance by replacing the four-cylinder diesel engine fitted to the Ranger Raptor with a Mustang-spec 5.0-litre V8.​
Rather than a global project, the top secret V8 Raptor project has been sanctioned by Ford Australia and will be the result of a local engineering effort.​
But instead of utilising the 1000-strong local workforce that helped create the T6 architecture that underpins the Ranger and Everest, the project is being farmed out to an external engineering firm.​
The latest in a growing list of low volume local engineering solutions – which include the upcoming Mustang R-Spec created by Herrod Performance and just-released Nissan Navara Warrior by Premcar – will adhere to OEM durability and safety requirements and be sold through Ford dealers will full five-year warranty protection.​
But behind the scenes there’s an elaborate process to turn regular Raptors into roaring V8 performance machines.​
The donor Raptors will arrive in Australia with diesel propulsion but will undergo an engine transplant as part of an extensive performance upgrade.​
Key to the transformation of the Raptor V8 is Ford’s Coyote V8, the engine that is the heart of the Mustang GT.​
The 5038cc direct injection dual overhead cam V8 was upgraded in 2018 to produce 339kW and 556Nm – more than the final 6.2-litre V8 in the Holden Commodore SS (304kW).​
While exact outputs for the Raptor tune are yet to be confirmed, it is expected to make close to the numbers pumped out in the current Mustang GT.​
Crucially, the new V8 injection promises to answer one of the biggest criticisms with Ford’s Baja racer-inspired truck: straight line performance.​
For the full story on Ford’s secret Raptor hero, make sure to pick up the January 2020 issue of Wheels, which goes on sale today!"​

It sounds like it might be a situation like Shelby where Ford sends vehicles to an outside source for upgrades. Speaking of which, I saw a Shelby Raptor on the road a couple of days ago.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
This stuff is gonna blow up!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Sounds like the Aussie's are getting all the cool American stuff.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I dont see the point of the v8 in the new ranger. The 3.5 EcoBoost would be an easier fit and they make crazy horsepower for a truck that size and still get great fuel economy, add a few factory tweaks and they could have it over 400hp. Sure a coyote would be neat but a little overkil? The issue with a truck is getting that power to the ground 600+ hp means nothing on a truck with no traction. And let's be honest 4x4 components ain't made for that power.

I wont lie, if I won the lottery my first purchase would be a f150 raptor. But my second purchase would be an f450 to tow it to places where it's fun. I see no point to that thing as a daily driver. It belongs out in the trails and dunes where it can run free.

My third purchase would be a tesla model x.... which I would swap a Cummins 4bt into. Just do be a dick.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont see the point of the v8 in the new ranger. The 3.5 EcoBoost would be an easier fit and they make crazy horsepower for a truck that size and still get great fuel economy, add a few factory tweaks and they could have it over 400hp. Sure a coyote would be neat but a little overkil? The issue with a truck is getting that power to the ground 600+ hp means nothing on a truck with no traction. And let's be honest 4x4 components ain't made for that power.
3.5EB is more overkill than a 5.0 is. The high end 3.5EB's are running 450hp, GT is 650. I don't know which would fit better, both take up a lot of real estate.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
See that is just something I never understood... People always complaining about there not being a ranger raptor and no more lightnings but why not just buy a used 2-3 yr old truck and outfit it with a better engine, better suspension and throw a wrap on it and you would have your own ranger raptor for a fraction of the price.... I'm gonna guess and say IF ranger raptors existed then they would probably start at 50-60k.... When you can get a used 2-3 yr old ranger for 20-30k and put 10k in it..... You could save 10-20k and have a unique truck..... But instead people will just wish and bitch about Ford not giving them what they want... It's called built, not bought people.... I don't like owning a vehicle that looks like everyone else's. There's no character with new trucks.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
See that is just something I never understood... People always complaining about there not being a ranger raptor and no more lightnings but why not just buy a used 2-3 yr old truck and outfit it with a better engine, better suspension and throw a wrap on it and you would have your own ranger raptor for a fraction of the price.... I'm gonna guess and say IF ranger raptors existed then they would probably start at 50-60k.... When you can get a used 2-3 yr old ranger for 20-30k and put 10k in it..... You could save 10-20k and have a unique truck..... But instead people will just wish and bitch about Ford not giving them what they want... It's called built, not bought people.... I don't like owning a vehicle that looks like everyone else's. There's no character with new trucks.
Agreed, I noticed the other day, at the Ford Dealer here, there were more Raptor F150's than regular ones. They were once rare and cool, now they are the NORM. Hell you could even buy a brand new Base model Ranger for 25K, save 15k at the dealer, then go spend 10k on aftermarket stuff, still cheaper than 40k for a truck that has stuff you don't want/need, and if you don't like it, it's your fault, because you built it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't really care about the "Raptor" part of it.

A Coyote would be awesome and I think something with a factory front locker would be a welcome answer to the Ranger lineup in the US. In that reguard the Bison and Rubicon are unanswered.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My mustang makes barely over 300hp and it's an old steel beast. I think it's fast as hell... did horsepower ratings just change somehow? I couldn't even imagine my mustang with 600hp. It would just burn tires and go no where?

Are old ratings just different or something? I just dont get a 600hp truck. How can it even be functional on the street? My mustang is a beast on the street with 300. Granted I get that power glued to the pavement.

Technically my Lincoln made the same horsepower, it was rated at 307hp. It had balls but it is a joke next to the mustang.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My mustang makes barely over 300hp and it's an old steel beast. I think it's fast as hell... did horsepower ratings just change somehow? I couldn't even imagine my mustang with 600hp. It would just burn tires and go no where?

Are old ratings just different or something? I just dont get a 600hp truck. How can it even be functional on the street? My mustang is a beast on the street with 300.
Yes in 1973.

2013 GT-500 with 650hp can break 200mph.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo

Are old ratings just different or something? I just dont get a 600hp truck. How can it even be functional on the street? My mustang is a beast on the street with 300. Granted I get that power glued to the pavement.
and your mustang ain't even 4wd!

Your right 4wd components cant take that much power, but 2wd street rods can.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My 65 can brake 110... but itll get there damn fast. it simply runs out of gears. Put in higher gears and an overdrive itll do 200. I run a top loader and 4.56 gears. Who the hell needs to go 200?

I worked on a 14 or 15 950 hp boss 302. It was a mean car but with street tires I could have kept up with it with my 65 on a track. 300hp stuck is faster than 900hp spinning. Strapped to a dyno means nothing.

Last edited:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
less is more?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals