• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v8 conversion!

DangerRanger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've looked thru the archives on here in this forum trying to find answers to my questions. I hesitated to post this question due to the frequency it probably gets asked.

I have a 96 xlt supercab. 4.0 ohc. I'd like to roughly get an idea on COST and EFFORT needed to drop a v8 in it. The easier the better, 302 vs. 4.6 ?

Don't think I could do the "major fab" stuff if its needed. Say, cutting out members, firewall etc. Wondered if one motor fits "better" than others.

Like to put a small lift on it 2 - 3". Really rough guesses or past experiences is what I'm looking for. See if its worth me getting into. I love my RANGER.
4th one I've bought!
thanks in advance guys.

supersite!:icon_idea:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
As far as cost, cheap, fast and reliable....pick two of the three. I've done a swap on a Ranger for around $1500 a few years back. It was pretty much pull from one vehicle and drop in the other, no frills and I made the driveshafts mounts and so on. The more you can fab and more creative with solutions to problems the cheaper you will be able to do it. My truck has thousands in just the engine. You won't have to cut any firewalls or things like that. If you aren't confident in you skills just yet I wouldn't be trying a swap for a little bit. It can be done with most basic tools and usually no welding. The only welding would be driveshafts and exhaust but there are shops that can do that stuff. When first did my swap I did it with a drill, a socket set, hammer and an angle grinder. It's not rocket science but it does need some thought.

Matt

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Since you have a '96, go with a 302. You would have to do too much fab work to put a 4.6 into a pre-'98 Ranger. Do ALOT of research before you even lift a wrench or buy a part.

macdaddy31516

October STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
listen to what these guys are telling you.remember this if you dont anything else. start out with a plan, and stick to it.dont get half way through and start thinking well i can do this to make it faster, better and stronger.save all those extra ideas for your next build and you will be so better prepared.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals