• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Conversion Headers

Chris86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
86 ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Anyone try kooks on a 351w swap. Got a 408 with kooks out of a 94 mustang that I'll be swapping into my 86 ranger. Tips, tricks, thoughts?

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
anyone tried these in a ranger?

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
Just scrolling thru this forum and thought I'd add my 2 cents. Albeit 8 years later!! Just bought a pair of Sanderson Headers for my Cleveland swap into my '95. They're block huggers and they fit really nice! Of course it's on an after market k member but perhaps they can fab something for your needs???
Quality product, for sure.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
So I know this is an old thread.so I put my herman 88400 headers on the engine today to c how bad the passenger side fits.im using v6 rubber mounts and plates.they fit pretty bad.the collector is right on the seam.i ll have to modify the floor alot.what did everyone decide were the perfect fitting headers on a 1st gen ranger?patriot tri-ys long tubes?not sure y bird76mojo said these headers fit so we'll on his same yr ranger as mine.i think he's using old school bronco mounts which would make motor sit higher which also would make headers even worse of a fit.let me what I guys r using.dead in the water until I can find something that will definitely work

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I know this is an old thread.so I put my herman 88400 headers on the engine today to c how bad the passenger side fits.im using v6 rubber mounts and plates.they fit pretty bad.the collector is right on the seam.i ll have to modify the floor alot.what did everyone decide were the perfect fitting headers on a 1st gen ranger?patriot tri-ys long tubes?not sure y bird76mojo said these headers fit so we'll on his same yr ranger as mine.i think he's using old school bronco mounts which would make motor sit higher which also would make headers even worse of a fit.let me what I guys r using.dead in the water until I can find something that will definitely work
I used the $100 tri-y headers from ebay. With a 351, you gotta trim the frame rail on the passengers side a little, maybe 3/4 of an inch wide by however long to clear both tubes. Supposedly with a 302, they fit witout trimming. Pics are here

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
They fit mine so well, in my opinion, because they totally avoided the frame. I've seen too many V8 swapped Rangers and Bronco II's that the passenger frame rail was butchered beyond belief. All I did to the frame was smooth the factory edge a tiny bit, but it didn't need it.

Mine also fit so well because I've been a fabricator for most of my life..

thumbnail (27).jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
'85 Ranger, convert/sn-95 mounts, 3" bodylift

I wouldn't own a 4wd without the bodylift. If I was doing a 2wd tri-y all the way.

They fit mine so well, in my opinion, because they totally avoided the frame. I've seen too many V8 swapped Rangers and Bronco II's that the passenger frame rail was butchered beyond belief. All I did to the frame was smooth the factory edge a tiny bit, but it didn't need it.

View attachment 54900
Glad to see ya!

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18

View attachment 54900
Do u have a pic of the headman 88400 header bolted to your passenger side engine.like to see what it looks like if u don't mind.u didn't have to modify your floor at all besides massaging the frame a little?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Sn
'85 Ranger, convert/sn-95 mounts, 3" bodylift

I wouldn't own a 4wd without the bodylift. If I was doing a 2wd tri-y all the way.

Glad to see ya!
95 mounts makes engine sit higher then the v6 mounts with plates correct?body lift would be only way to clear everything for sure

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I used the $100 tri-y headers from ebay. With a 351, you gotta trim the frame rail on the passengers side a little, maybe 3/4 of an inch wide by however long to clear both tubes. Supposedly with a 302, they fit witout trimming. Pics are here
Do u have a part # by any chance?also how many places make tri-ys?I c quite a few places.are they all pretty much the same?im running a t5 which is pretty narrow and small so I can't imagine clearance shouldn't be to much of an issue besides the frame

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sn

95 mounts makes engine sit higher then the v6 mounts with plates correct?body lift would be only way to clear everything for sure
I think so.

If I had it to do again I would use V6 mounts with plates.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Do u have a part # by any chance?also how many places make tri-ys?I c quite a few places.are they all pretty much the same?im running a t5 which is pretty narrow and small so I can't imagine clearance shouldn't be to much of an issue besides the frame
I think they're all pretty much the same, but these are the ones i bought specifically. I'm really impressed with what you get for the money, they look nice and include all the hardware and gaskets you need. As for the trans, I'm running an m5r2. It didnt take much grinding on the bellhousing to make it fit, but both sides just barely hit before i made room.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I think they're all pretty much the same, but these are the ones i bought specifically. I'm really impressed with what you get for the money, they look nice and include all the hardware and gaskets you need. As for the trans, I'm running an m5r2. It didnt take much grinding on the bellhousing to make it fit, but both sides just barely hit before i made room.
Do u have a pic of what they look like in your truck by any chance?also I wonder how close the bell housings r or your m5r2 and my t5?r they black horse racing stainless ones your referring to on the tri ys?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do u have a pic of what they look like in your truck by any chance?also I wonder how close the bell housings r or your m5r2 and my t5?r they black horse racing stainless ones your referring to on the tri ys?
Post 12 has pics with a C4

On an emissions note they may not play well with cats if you have that to worry about, you generally want those as close to the engine as possible.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
If cats aren't as close as can be what would happen?it may not run correctly?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals