• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 4406 manual Transfer case VSS wiring

JohnnyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi I have a 2002 Ranger with a 5.0 out of a 01 Mountaineer and a 4406 Manual shift transfer case. I need to get the Speedometer working and get rid of the PO 500 code, so I bought a Dakota digital interface (SGI-100 BT) unit. Anybody have any experience connecting up this unit on an 02 ? Would I be better off using the transfer case VSS or the VSS on the rear diff? Can anyone explain how you wired the interface up. I've done some research and am getting conflicting information. Any help would be appreciated.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't help you because this is the first I have heard of it, but I am very interested in the outcome. May have to get one and try it out.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm pretty sure you need the signal from the rear diff, my '00 Explorer just has the input from the rear axle for all of that.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think 98 to 01 got the signal from the rear diff on explorer. The 96-97 was gear driven off Trans or transfer case. Then the 4406m if it's from 99 and up f150 it's off the rear also but 97-98 was gear driven. That's what I found in the research I'm doing for the M5ODR2 and 4406 M swap I'm planning on doing to he early 97. I also have been seeing on some forums about a ABS module having the signal since the reads off the rear diff. I hope this helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals