• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Using E-85 instead of gas

green99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
your engine has no way of telling what octane is in the tank, and therefor no way of making use of the higher octane fuel.
This is in reference to non-flex engines, right? I would think the flex-fuel sensor would allow the computer to make adjustments to maximaze E-85 performance in those engines.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the flex fuel sensor detects ethanol content of the fuel, not octane. while increasing ethanol has the same effect on the fuels burn quality as increasing octane, the sensor does not detect octane.

99stepside

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 E85
Transmission
Automatic
all i know is i love my E85. i havent had any probs with my truck and i do see a horsepower changeand the engine runs a hell of alot smoother. the only down side to having the flex feul was when i went to replace the fuel filter i had one hell of a time trying to find an FFV feul filter. took 3 days and a special order. then i go to auto zone and ask what i should do for engine oil knowing if i had a hard time finding a specil feul filter maybe ive been putting the wrong oil inn it too. well i was right, but i dont quite know why, so now my oil changes cost me 70 dollars now. but other than that I LOVE FLEX FUEL

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
hate to burst your bubble, but aside from a few computer and fuel system differences, your engine is identical to the regular gasoline 3.0...and has the same oil requirments. your parts store is trying to make a buck off of you. any quality 5w-20 API rated motor oil works dandy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals