• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Using a Router & WiFi

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Anyone here using a wireless internet modem from a cell company (Alltel, Verizon, AT&T, etc) with a router and a computer with Windows Vista to create WiFi in their house? And...I guess now there's a newer 64-bit Vista. Anyone doing it with the newer Vista?

If so, what router are you using?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
As long as your laptop has an Ethernet port, you can do this. All that needs to be done is enabling sharing of your Internet connection. I have done this on an xBox 360, so I don't see why it wouldn't work in your application.

Give me a call and I will walk you through setting it up

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I dont have a cell phone modem, I have dsl from att, but I use the lynksys wireless router. I can never get them to work right with the instructions so I just do it my way and things seem to go together.

Your supposed to hardwire your wireless pc so it can do the whole setup process, but it necer works, I just turn on my wireless modem and when it starts making all the right lights I set my laptop up to pick up wireless signal automatically.

I also have windows vista home premium 32 bit.

Oh the lynksys is wireless g I believe, but if you can the wireless N to work with your setup then go for it. Its the best. (Your wireless card in your pc must be N capable, if not even the wireless N modem will only transmit at the max capability ofyour pc, be it B, G, N whatever.

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I can't imagine using those new Cell Wi-Fi Routers would be cheap for a house. I think most plans are like $50/mon and its capped pretty low. It's a cool concept if you're always traveling - especially highways, but Wi-Fi is becoming more and more common all the time it seems.

I wouldn't mind learning more about these routers though.

chapnutz_#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
can the cell wifi router and go with a dsl or cable connection, i work with these things all day and the cable connection is the best setup...the purpose of connecting a pc to the router is to set up the user properties IE password, name, encription, etc etc...very easy, if you need help contact me and i can do it remotely...just need your IP address

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
As long as your laptop has an Ethernet port, you can do this. All that needs to be done is enabling sharing of your Internet connection. I have done this on an xBox 360, so I don't see why it wouldn't work in your application.

Give me a call and I will walk you through setting it up
Basically, how does that work?

I can't get cable or any other type of hard line in where I'm at. Not an option. I use a wireless modem through my cell provider, but I need to be able to share it with my wife. I need a way for us both to be able to be online using the same wireless modem.

In THIS thread I had discussed an option, but I was curious to see what others have done.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Basically, how does that work?
How it works is, you turn internet sharing on and then will have to hard wire your laptop to the wireless router. You plug the ethernet cable into the input of the router.

The downside is that you will have to have a wire going from your laptop to the router. Then she will be able to wirelessly access the net.

Have you thought of something like HughesNet, Directv, or Dish? It is internet via satelite.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I use wifi for my nintendo ds lite but not to play games with but to talk to people, stream music, browse the net (ya I get onto the ranger staion when somebody is on the computer) etc... Our router sucks though its a D-link and signal sucks after you get 50ft away from it. We are paying $106 a month for internet and phone, which I think is to much.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It is wayyy too much. I hasve internet phone and unlimited long distance through att and it only cost me 87.00 a month.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Have you thought of something like HughesNet, Directv, or Dish? It is internet via satelite.
Wow. I actually have Directv and didn't know they offer it. It's $39.99 a month for the first 12 months and $49.99 a month after that.

I might have to look in to that.

92 5 oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
i don't have any experience personally with satelite internet. Although i have talked to a lot of people who say the speeds suck. I used to work tech support for Alltel on their broadband cards and such. I talked to many people who ditched satelite for a broadband card because they could not get DSL or cable. But your provider might be different.
But i think the equipment you're looking for is a mobile broadband router. If you go with one of these it will allow your card to connect and stay connected, then you can share out your connection via wired or wireless connection. Here's an example of one by Kyocera, it'll support certain USB type cards, certain PCMCIA cards and a few PCMCIA Express cards.
http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/kr1-router/
The key is to make certain you get a router that will support your existing card. It's pretty simple how they work, pretty much insert your broadband card into its respective slot. log into the router, the manual should give you detailed info how to do so. Then you go to a screen and setup things like your cell number that's associated with the card, a password, possibly a username and hit connect. once it makes a successful connection to your provider you can either plug an ethernet cable into it or you can use wifi and configure a password if you want. most people i helped set these up lived so far away from their neighbors they didn't setup a password :icon_cheers:
Another thing to think about, is what the router will support. There was 1 router i saw and i cannot remember for the life me of who made it; but it would support a mobile broadband connection, cable or dsl. So if you were ever in a situation that you could utilize cable or dsl this particular router would allow you to do so. On the other hand, the Kyocera will only support a broadband connection (at least as best as i can remember).
Another option would be to use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) as mjonesjr said. The downfall to this is your computer would be hosting the connection, so if your computer was off or not connected your wifes computer would not get online either. :icon_idea: But if that was the case, maybe she could use your broadband card since you would not be?... The upside to ICS is it wouldn't cost you anything more than an ethernet cable..
your cell provider should be able to give you details about what mobile broadband routers they sell and what they're compatable with. also, you should not have to sign a contract to buy one of these. the contract should be on your wireless devices. so you could buy the router off ebay as long as it's the right one.
oh ya, and a misconception about mobile broadband, its speed tests may peak at 1Mb/sec or so(maybe higher), but the power of the cards are pretty weak. If you're just going to surf the web, watch a video clip or something that'll be ok if you don't mind it taking a sec to stream video. But if you're planning on using xbox live or downloading hundreds of megs from torrents then you'll have a poor experience.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals