• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Using a resistor for LED lights?

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Good to know you've got it all documented .... ;)

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Im currently at phase 2 drunk. I can still be quite articulate at this phase in the process. You won't see a marked increase in grammatical error or any decline in advanced reasoning ability until phase 3. At phase 4 rational thought begins a steep decline and my posts will most likely become rambling. By stage 5 anything I post will be merely jibberish if I am even able to type at all.
Well my issue is that phase 2 ends up being phase 5 so quickly that 3 and 4 seem to get skipped.... :icon_rofl:

I got stoned one day and walked in circles around my F150 for close to 20 mins before I figured out what I was doing before hand. My cousin and his GF were just watching me laughing there rears off through the window.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Picked up the Line Resistors and realized they need to be mounted to metal and due to the room inside the mounting hole I also ordered thermal tape to mount it since putting screws in there is not the best idea unless I want the tips to stick out through the interior trim pieces. That's not quite the look I'm going for. Sure wish they included them but nope. Now I have it for the next time I need to put heat sinks on something.

Double sided thermal tape

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I put LED lights on all four corners of my Lightning. I could not, for the life of me, find the flasher. So I used four Load Equalizers, bought from Advance Auto to return the signals to their normal flash rate. Yeah, have to be mounted on metal, since the metal is used as a heat sink.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Got the load leveling resistor installed and the light is out now. I did test with the original light and the light worked properly so it just needed the resistor installed. I'm hoping that the dash brake light is out now because that one has been on dim for quite some time. It's just to bright out now to tell for sure if it's out.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You would think those terrible quick splice connectors you used would add more than enough resistance... :ROFLMAO:

Seriously man, wtf... at the bare minimum go get some damn heat shrink butt splice connectors. Go stand in the corner and think about what you've done.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
You would think those terrible quick splice connectors you used would add more than enough resistance... :ROFLMAO:

Seriously man, wtf... at the bare minimum go get some damn heat shrink butt splice connectors. Go stand in the corner and think about what you've done.
The instructions said not to cut the wires and this was much easier than using the heat shrink I have in the drawer and the solder iron. This area is not out in the weather in fact I needed to purchase new gaskets for the light as it was. Moisture will not be an issue where it is mounted so there is no need for the whole solder and heat shrink.

I do have heatshrink butt connectors in the drawer also but again moisture and weather will not get to where it is at.

Now that it is dark I did check the brake light in the dash and it is out again so that light being on dim is caused by a brake light being out or in my case not enough load on the circuit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals